Active Forums to YAF.Net Migration
Script to migrate DNN Active Forums to DNN YAF.Net Forum
Latest version is available on GitHub.
This Script is provided "as is" with no liabilities or guarantees.
What will be migrated?
- AF Module → YAF.Net Board
- AF ForumGroups → YAF.Net Categories
- AF Forums → YAF.Net Forums
- AF Threads → YAF.Net Topics
- AF Topics & Replies → YAF.Net Messages
- AF Attachments → YAF.Net Attachments
- AF Notifications → YAF.Net Forum & Topic Watches
- DNN Users with forum posts → YAF.Net Users
- DNN Roles with AF module permission → YAF.Net Groups & ASP.net Roles
What will not be migrated?
- Permissions and a number of settings for forums and forum groups
- Messages (if you are still using AF Messages, I suggest migrating it to Core Messages)
- YAF.Net does not support forums for DNN Social Groups, i.e. those AF forum modules cannot be migrated atm!
- Data from Polls
- You need to have DNN with Active Forums installed (V 5.0+).
- You need to have YAF.Net DNN module installed, using default database objet qualifier "yaf_".
- Make sure, there are no open polls, because those will not be copied over.
- You should inform your users to dismiss all notification messages, as they will get lost during migration.
- You need to have Yaf.Net module placed on a page and configured it to create board #1. This board with first category and first forum will be used as a template for imported data. If you prefere to use a different board, you need to modify the migration script.
Performing a Migration
Please make sure you start with a database backup!!!
Please make sure you are using latest version of the migration script from GitHub.
In Host > SQL, run ListModules.sql to get a list of migratable AF moduleIds. Enter the preferred moduleID into MigrateForums.sql
Execute script MigrateForums.sql in Host > SQL or SSMS
to get AF file attachements being displayed and provided for download, you need to copy manually the files from portals[PortalID]\activeforums_Upload folder to folder \DesktopModules\YetAnotherForumDotNet\uploads and append ".yafupload" to each file name.
Afterwards add a new YAF.Net DNN module instance to a page and select highest existing Board to be displayed. Enter Board administration and review/adjust permissions and settings for board, forums and forum groups.
Inform your users about the migration and tell them to review their forum settings.
Script not finished yet - work in progress:
- datetime values need to be converted to UTC
- not yet tested