FogFlow is a standard-based data processing framework for service providers to easily programming and managing IoT services over cloud and edges. Below are the motivation, functionalities, and benefits of FogFlow.
- Why do we need FogFlow?
- the cost of a cloud-only solution is too high to run a large scale IoT system with >1000 geo-distributed devices
- many IoT services require fast response time, such as <10ms end-to-end latency
- service providers are facing huge complexity and cost to fast design and deploy their IoT services in a cloud-edge environment - business demands are changing fast over time and service providers need to try out and release any new services over their shared cloud-edge infrastructure at a fast speed
- lack of programming model to fast design and deploy IoT services over geo-distributed ICT infrastructure
- lack of interoperability and openness to share and reuse data and dervied results across various applications
- What does FogFlow provide?
- efficient programming model: programming a service is like building lego blocks
- dynamic service orchestration: launching necessary data processing only when it is required
- optimized task deployment: assigning tasks between cloud and edges based on the locality of producers and consumers
- scalable context management: allowing flexible information exchanging (both topic-based and scope-based) between producers and consumers
- How can customers benefit from FogFlow?
- fast time-to-market when realizing and releasing new services over the shared, geo-distributed ICT infrastructure
- reduced operation cost and management complexity when operating variou services
- being able to provide services that require low latency and fast response time
FogFlow is licensed under BSD-4-Clause.