Getting started with a Monoprice Select v2.1
I made a terrible choice of buying on of these on amazon:
- Monoprice Select v2 - $229.99+tax
You can't know which you'll get, apparently: I got v2.1 with knurled bed adjusting rings instead of winged ones. The following are mods I've performed, gauged by necessity. AFAIK all v2s need these, not just v2.1.
- Mosfet bed heater upgrade
- Better fan and cooler
- Bed leveling
- Printable additions
- Filament used
Mosfet bed heater upgrade
Apparently if you don't do this, you'll fry the connectors that go to the motherboard. Use this tutorial and
- print this thing,
- the board itself - $6.99
- a set of hex screws and nuts that you'll need for other mods, too. And for screws you lose - $22.99
- spade terminal connectors - $6.19
- extra wire that I don't think I needed - $5.48
Better fan and cooler
The original fan is weak and its metal case doesn't place air everywhere you want it, I guess.
- print one of these (you probably want the
DiiiCooler_Rev3-21-V2-1_Beta3.STLbut read his instructions, don't listen to me)
- buy one of these and throw the second one away - $11.49
- or buy them for a third of the price on aliexpress and wait a year for it to ship
After unpacking and leveling the bed, stuff printed great for a while. Then, it didn't. Here's a list of fixes I implemented and what they're supposed to fix (it makes sense to do this whole section at once, as many things are at play and everything sucks):
- a glass bed will remain level, but don't clip it on, just place it on top of a thermal pad (below). This will ensure you have a perfectly level surface - $25.99
- just one of these pads will be enough. I removed the black surface sticker that came with the printer, you might not have to. This makes sure that your glass surface will get as much heat as possible - $7.99
Replacing the Y carriage plate
...the original of which is apparently too weak.
Follow this vaguely. You'll need:
- a new Y carriage plate - $27.99
Three point leveling
- allow for easier leveling
- ensure you don't bend another Y carriage plate by over-tightening opposite screws
If you got the glass above, you'll need to drill a hole for the third adjustment screw. Great. Get these:
Drill slowly, add water to lubricate. Prostrats: tape cardboard on top of the proposed hole to keep the bit in place.
These are nice to have:
I guess there aren't any more nice things.
I read nonsense about how PLA+ (Premium PLA) is better and have been buying these Inland rolls almost exclusively. They've been great and cheap! Except now they're mostly gone from Amazon stock.