We built Sidetap to be an easy-to-use implementation of the side navigation pattern popularized by apps like Sparrow and Facebook. It solves many common mobile development problems right out of the box. Here are some of the specific things we like about it:
- Lightweight: Sidetap only weighs 2k when minifyied and gzipped!
- Device Support: Sidetap aims to always deliver the best possible experience for all devices by starting with a basic experience and progressively enhancing it for more capable devices.
- Less Decisions to Make: By embracing convention over configuration, Sidetap let’s you start building your mobile interfaces right away.
- Simple: Sidetap provides a flexible foundation for navigating between content panels on mobile devices using an easy-to-use syntax.
##How to Use Sidetap
Build the HTML Structure
Sidetap uses a very specific HTML structure which can be found in the skelton.html file
Create a reference to Sidetap from within your app.
var my_sidetap = new sidetap();
Any time you want to show a new section, you just tell Sidetap which content element to animate. Sidetap will take care of clearing the stage using whatever animation is appropriate for the situation.
callback: a function to fire when the switch is complete
animation: an animation style to use (ios 5+ only). Current animations are upfrombottom, downfromtop, infromright, infromleft
Requires jQuery (only tested with 1.7.2) or Zepto.js.
##Building Files Using Grunt
- Install grunt:
npm install -g grunt
- Install grunt-contrib:
npm install grunt-contrib
- That's it.
There are a few available commands.
grunt build: build the css & js files
grunt watch: build the css & js files whenever the less or coffee files change
##Reporting Issues & Contributing
We welcome your input, but strongly encourage you to read Nicolas Gallagher's excellent issue guidelines before filing an issue or opening a pull request. While these are guidelines are his projects specifically, they would serve as an excellent guide for contributing to any open source project.
As with any software project, there's always room for improvement. These are some of the things we'd like to get added to Sidetap in the future.
- More iOS-like header animations
- Better touch support
- Leaving side navigation open on larger screen devices (hello, iPad)
- Bringing polished version to more devices.