This repository contains scraping tools for FanFiction.Net. These tools are meant to be used for non-commercial, research purposes. They were originally created for the following paper; please cite if you use this software for your research:
Smitha Milli and David Bamman, "Beyond Canonical Texts: A Computational Analysis of Fanfiction" EMNLP 2016.
We have imposed a rate limit of a page per second in these tools in order to comply with the fanfiction.net terms of service:
E. You agree not to use or launch any automated system, including without limitation, "robots," "spiders," or "offline readers," that accesses the Website in a manner that sends more request messages to the FanFiction.Net servers in a given period of time than a human can reasonably produce in the same period by using a conventional on-line web browser.
If you want fanfiction from Archive of Our Own instead, check out @radiolarian's Archive of Our Own scraper.
pip install fanfiction
from fanfiction import Scraper scraper = Scraper() metadata = scraper.scrape_story_metadata(STORY_ID)
Returns a dictionary with the metadata for the story.
- id [int]: The id of the story
- canon_type [str]: The type of canon
- canon [str]: The name of the canon
- author_id [int]: The user id of the author
- title [int]: The title of the story
- updated [int]: The timestamp of the last time the story was updated
- published [int]: The timestamp of when the story was originally published
- lang [str]: The language the story is written in
- genres [list]: A list of the genres that the author categorized the story as
- num_reviews [int]
- num_favs [int]
- num_follows [int]
- num_words [int]: Total number of words in all chapters of the story
- rated [str]: The story's fiction rating. i.e. K, K+, T, M
Returns a dictionary with the metadata, chapters, and reviews of the story. The dictionary has the same attributes as the metadata attributes listed above plus the additional attributes:
- chapters [dict]: A dictionary mapping from the chapter id (where the chapter id for the n-th chapter of the story is n) to the text of the chapter. The text is either stripped of HTML if keep_html is False or with the HTML intact if keep_html is True.
- reviews [dict]: A dictionary mapping from the chapter id to a list of review dictionaries (see
fanfiction.Scraper.scrape_chapter(story_id, chapter_id, keep_html=False)
Returns the text of the chapter either stripped of the HTML if keep_html is False or with the HTML intact if keep_html is True.
Returns a list of review dictionaries. Each review dictionary has the following attributes:
- user_id [int]: The user id of the reviewer. If the review came from an unregistered user, then user_id is set to None.
- time [int]: The timestamp of the review.
- review [int]: The text of the review.