We are a community of people who maintain snaps of applications that are not our own. Our goal is to be a trusted and reliable source for high-quality snaps. All snaps from the "Snapcrafters" publisher in the Snap Store are maintained by us. We also help create tooling and documentation to help others create better snap packages.
- Similar to traditional distributions, we use formal processes to maintain snaps so that updates are tested and high-quality before they reach users.
- We share maintenance workload over multiple people so there isn't a single point of failure.
- We share knowledge and work on tooling to improve the quality of the whole Snap ecosystem.
- We vet contributors before they get publishing rights.
- We work with the upstream application developers to transfer snap ownership to them when they are interested in taking over maintenance.
Having the upstream application developer maintain and publish a snap for their application is preferred but not always possible. If the developers are not yet interested in maintaining the snap, we fill the gap.
Who is part of it?
Our formal community is split into three groups:
- "Regular members" contribute to the snaps and are part of our Telegram channel.
- "Core members" develop and maintain the snaps and lead this group. All core members are listed in the "Reviewers" team of this organization.
- "Administrators" manage this GitHub organization and the "Snapcrafters" account in the Snap Store.
How to contribute
Anyone can contribute to our snaps and toolkits. Just create a PR and tag
@reviewers to ask us to review your contribution.