The best day of the year!
- Fix closing of popovers when opening a popup menu or combobox
- Fix some build issues with older GNOME stacks (3.20/3.22)
Interim changelog: v10.2.9...v10.3
An announcement will be made on https://solus-project.com to discuss the latest Budgie version changes.
This is strictly a maintenance release. Our efforts are focused on developing the Budgie 11 codebase.
Distributors should begin to prepare for the testing of Budgie 11 in the coming weeks.
In the mean time, here is a rough changelog:
Final release in the
The next release of Budgie will be
v10.3, which will move to enforcing a stable performant API/ABI through a C rewrite of the core. The soname will be bumped in
v10.3 meaning all binary extensions to Budgie will require rebuilds in the next version. No removals will be made to the API so no code changes will be required.
Check the full changelog for all the details and items that might not be iterated here.
- Sync more translations and fix untranslatable strings
- Fix theming issues on
- Fix panel slide in effect for a more optimal view
- Enforce certain applications to obey the icon theme on the
- Enable compatibility with GNOME Terminal notifications
- Add fade-out effect for tile previews
- Add Spotify compatibility (MPRIS no longer hangs)
- Enable dismissing of Raven by clicking on the desktop instead of just active windows
- Fix out-of-tree builds using the native Budgie Panel Applet API, which enables the building of Budgie Applets for packaging
- Improve listbox navigation when adding applets (i.e. allow using the keyboard navigation and enter key)
- Fixed rendering issues on collapsible widgets inside Raven (no more tearing)
- Improve notifications UX (use a placeholder in absence of active notifications)
- Improve wallpaper performance through explicit caching
- Various tray applet fixes
- Improve support within Budgie for theming, enabling per-gtk-version themes to be discovered, and correctly isolating cursor and icon themes which share a highly similar standard
- Implement the first revision of the
AppSystemfor better identification of the
.desktopfile belonging to running applications, enable far more applications to be pinned to the Budgie Panel (such as GNOME GtkApplications)
- Stop notifications from expanding Raven to a silly width
- Fix missing Budgie PolKit Auth Icon
gnome-screensaverwith an autostart file. In the near future this will be replaced with
- Fix battery update issues
- Replaced the Run Dialog (
ALT+F2) with a more modern effort that better integrates into the Budgie 10 style.
- Allowed Notifications to (ab)use the icon field of a notification dbus message to provide an image path, in addition to already supporting the
image-pathdbus hint, so that Lollypop can show cover-art in its notifications.
- Fixed calendar issues in Raven
- Redesigned Budgie Menu
- Consistent Raven Toggle Behaviour
- Introduction of
Super+Ashortcut to go directly to Raven Applet View, with
Super+Nopening the Raven Notifications View
- Many code cleanups
- Many more, unmentioned changes
Future Integration Notes for Vendors (v10.3):
gnome-screensaverwill be replaced with
budgie-screensaver, which is currently a lightly modified version of the now dead-upstream gnome-screensaver to integrate fully with modern GNOME settings and the Budgie UX. The code will also be updated, cleaned, and undergo static analysis in tandem with the Budgie C Rewrite
lightdm-budgie-greeterwill be made available to all and will be the default Budgie greeter. It is assumed vendors will recommend LightDM with their packaging as GDM is entirely dependent on
gnome-shelland there is absolutely no way around this, as gnome-shell provides the entire UI. This is inappropriate for most vendors and remixes.
Budgie Desktop makes use of the
gnome-volume-control component, "gvc", as a git submodule. Please ensure you use only the attached tarball (
.tar.xz) when updating your packages, as they are produced by us using
make distcheck, which ensures everything is where it should be.
Failure to do so, such as the use of custom gvc versions that are untested by the Solus team, or the use of shallow git clones, or GitHub's autogenerated, and notoriously broken, tarballs, will result in a subpar experience for your users, please be considerate so that we may provide them with the best of support and easier triage future issues (Of which we know plenty exist, don't worry.)
- Restore LightDM lock screen functionality
- Ensure Budgie works with xinitrc
- Ensure panel respects EWMH
- Support stateless XDG configuration
- Add a new Bluetooth status-applet indicator
- Support both GTK 3.18 and 3.20 dynamically (complete theme support)
- Fix audio descriptions in Raven
- Fix the default spacing
- Track initial loading status of panel
- Only expose panel when fully loaded, using a new slide-in transition
- Add font configuration options to Raven
- Enable toggling of "desktop icons" via Nautilus in Raven
- Animate the tile preview appearance when using side-by-side tiling
- Animate the expose/remove of icons in the icon tasklist
- Allow users to toggle the panel "theme region" (panel status area)
- Fix window accountancy errors in budgie-wm, fixes several Steam titles