Hugo-smorg Changelog & TODO List
TODO / Coming Soon
Now that the block template / partials improvements are (largely) complete, new features to come:
- Add Social Media microdata (Twitter, etc.)
- Landing page (with and without catchy images) examples
- A text-centric minimalist layout customization and companion CSS swatch
- Per-page image and other resources
- Added partials/home/only-content.html, provides the simplest possible landing
page with content only from the relevant
_index.md. See layouts/index.html for where to include.
- Refactored partial/nav.html; added partial/navbar-menu.html providing for Bulma-styled main navigation drop-down capable menus driven from config file menu structure.
- Update exampleSite config.yaml and content to demonstrate drop down menus.
Users of v0.5 and earlier who have made theme customizations for their site
should find most everything works out of the box but may discover they need to
make minor updates to their site's customized, if any,
Increase the use of block templates throughout; reduce code in many page templates as a result. Don't Repeat Yourself (DRY).
Tested against the latest Hugo release 0.38 (https://gohugo.io/news/0.38-relnotes/000000000) but the theme does not make use of any leading edge features and can likely be used with much earlier versions of Hugo.
Add Google analytics support using Hugo internal template, add site variable and your GA ID to config.yaml: GoogleAnalytics:
layouts/_defaults/errorpage.html- allows for creation of NNN HTTP errorcode pages i.e. 401.html (with 401.md). In frontmatter specify layout:errorpage
Added /shortcodes/ig.html as a script-less instagram alternative. May disappear.
Added partials/filter-html.html, used in index.atom.xml to filter script tags among other things from .Summary and .Content for feed validation (and safety).
Replace submodules so they can be cloned anonymously via https, thanks @L0g4n
Removed Font Awesome; nothing wrong with it but for a handful of icons, leaving that decision up to site users. Unicode icons used where needed. See https://www.materialui.co/unicode-characters/symbols for ideas.
Added favicon.html partial and Params.favicon boolean - make a matching icon set from the solid https://realfavicongenerator.net/
Moved page-meta partial to subtitle - see Posts for example.
Fixed URL path bug on pages with categories and tags; sorted collections.
Refactored breadcrumbs, simpler and hopefully solid now; uses .Slug or .Name; override in menus.
Fixed URL bug noted on Github demo site; certain URLs needed absURL or relURL
_default/subsection.html allows for a section like /about/ with a handful of files /about/contact.md /about/legal.md to be rendered as a crumb menu at top of each page in the section. Add
layout: subsectionin each document front-matter (including _index.md).
Included in partials handy value debugprint, thanks @kaushalmodi
In config set debug: true ; helps diagnose template lookup order issues
- Bulma-styled Pagination on list / summary / section (post) / taxonomy pages
- Simplifcation overall; whitespace clean up
- Fix exampleSite config.yaml
Focus on fonts and build tools in this revision, prompted a PR for Bulmaswatch.
- Run dev server or build CSS using
npm runscripts (see package.json).
system-font-cssprovides local font definitions for a "system-ui" font, future proofing for day when system-ui provided across all browsers.
- Easily swap in webfonts (see smorg.scss) by defining two variables.
npmbased build and dev scripts.
- package.json dropped dependency on bulmaswatch; added nodemon and npm-run-all.
- Submodules added to scss: bulmaswatch chroma-sass-themes system-font-css
- Add Atom syndication format; details here.
v0.1 - v0.4
Project organization and a minimally working Hugo theme at each iteration.