This is the free and open source version of Spacedeck, a web based, real time, collaborative whiteboard application with rich media support. Spacedeck was developed in 6 major releases during Autumn 2011 until the end of 2016 and was originally a commercial SaaS. The developers were Lukas F. Hartmann (mntmn) and Martin Güther (magegu).
The spacedeck.com online service was shut down on May 1st 2018. We decided to open-source Spacedeck to allow educational and other organizations who currently rely on Spacedeck to migrate to a self-hosted or local version.
We appreciate filed issues, pull requests and general discussion.
- Create virtual whiteboards called Spaces with virtually unlimited size
- Drag & drop images, videos and audio from your computer or the web
- Write and format text with full control over fonts, colors and style
- Draw, annotate and highlight with included graphical shapes
- Turn your Space into a zooming presentation
- Collaborate and chat in realtime with teammates, students or friends
- Share Spaces on the web or via email
- Export your work as printable PDF or ZIP
- Education: Virtual classwork with multimedia
- Creative: Mood boards, Brainstorming, Design Thinking
- Visual note taking and planning
Data Import from Spacedeck.com
Spacedeck Open has a data import feature that you can use to migrate your ZIP export from Spacedeck.com.
- Just copy your downloaded ZIP file into the spacedeck root folder. Don't extract it.
- Start your local Spacedeck.
- Navigate to Account / Profile (person icon in the top right corner).
- Click the Import button next to the ZIP file name. It is on the bottom of the page.
- Wait until console output has finished and you're done.
- Node.js 9.x: Web Server / API. Download: https://nodejs.org
To run Spacedeck, you only need Node.JS 9.x.
To install all node dependencies, run (do this once):
Run (web server)
Then open http://localhost:9666 in a web browser.
Run (desktop app with integrated web server)
For advanced media conversion:
- ffmpeg and ffprobe for video/audio conversion. Download: https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html
- audiowaveform for audio waveform rendering. Download: https://github.com/bbcrd/audiowaveform
- ghostscript for PDF import. Download: https://www.ghostscript.com/download/gsdnld.html
By default, media files are uploaded to the
The database is stored in
database.sqlite by default.
To rebuild the frontend CSS styles:
The Spacedeck logo and brand assets are registered trademarks of Spacedeck GmbH. All rights reserved.
Spacedeck Open source code is released under the GNU Affero General Public License Version 3 (GNU AGPLv3).
Spacedeck Open - Web-based Collaborative Whiteboard For Rich Media Copyright (C) 2011-2018 Lukas F. Hartmann, Martin Güther Icons and original CSS design copyright by Thomas Helbig This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Affero General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU Affero General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.