What to do when Sparkles breaks (on the end user side) #252

Closed
jonathannz opened this Issue Mar 1, 2013 · 10 comments

Projects

None yet

3 participants

I am not entirely sure where to post this, as this appears to mostly be a developer forum. Please point me in the right direction if this is not it.

For more than 6 months now I have not been able to (automatically) update ANY applications which utilise the Sparkle update system. After the update is downloaded and I hit "Install and Restart" it ends in an error. In Console I will get a message like this:

1/03/13 6:03:28.582 PM Scrivener[520]: Sparkle Error: An error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again later.
1/03/13 6:03:28.586 PM Scrivener[520]: Sparkle Error (continued): Couldn't copy relauncher (/Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Resources/relaunch) to temporary path (/var/folders/d3/tp3xly2j00s5ztd9rbskg0hm0000gp/T/relaunch)!

As far as I can tell it happens on most, if not all, applications that update through Sparkle.

Please advise.

Regards,

Jonathan

If it happens with most applications, it could be an issue with your computer.

Thanks. I think we can agree there is something wrong "on" the computer. Whatever it is, it seems to only affect Sparkle updates. Would I would appreciate knowing is where I post for support in figuring out what has gone wrong with Sparkle on my particular computer.

On 21/03/2013, at 7:23 PM, SevenBits notifications@github.com wrote:

If it happens with most applications, it could be an issue with your computer.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub.

If you haven't already, try to repair permissions.

This issue still exists on my system. Sparkle updates are dead. Yet I still have no idea who I can turn to for a solution. The developer of one app I use was kindly trying to help out and was liaising with the developer, but that seems to have dried up. I regularly do a permissions fix, so that's not the issue. There is something else going on, which I am sure is correctable, but for now nearly every app with built in updating can't update itself.

A sand boxing issue, perhaps? What error do you get?

On May 12, 2013, at 9:05 AM, jonathannz notifications@github.com wrote:

This issue still exists on my system. Sparkle updates are dead. Yet I still have no idea who I can turn to for a solution. The developer of one app I use was kindly trying to help out and was liasing with the developer, but that seems to have dried up. I regularly do a permissions fix, so that's not the issue. These is something else going on, which I am sure is correctable, but for now nearly every app with built in updating can't update itself.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub.

Hello SevenBits... Thanks for the help.
The error is more or less what's in my OP... Along the lines of 👍

Sparkle Error: An error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again later.
Sparkle Error (continued): Couldn't copy relauncher (/Applications/THEAPPNAME.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Resources/relaunch) to temporary path (/var/folders/d3/tp3xly2j00s5ztd9rbskg0hm0000gp/T/relaunch)!

Basically Sparkle does not seem to be able to extract the update files to the location it is design to extract them to.

To be honest, trying to fix permissions may not do anything. I would go to the folder in question (/var) and see who owns it. Second, try to update from the Guest account or some other user account and/or an application not in your user folder.

If (/var) is owned by root, then you may have problems by being unable to write to it from a normal account. I honestly wonder why Sparkle doesn't use /tmp.

Yes, everything in the /private folder is owned by root. But surely that's the case on all Mac computers with OS X?

I agree, it seems odd to me that /var is used, and not something more open (permissions-wise) like /tmp

Tried another update... error message remains the same:

12/05/13 8:23:16.877 AM Scrivener[10247]: Sparkle Error: An error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again later.
12/05/13 8:23:16.877 AM Scrivener[10247]: Sparkle Error (continued): Couldn't copy relauncher (/Applications/THEAPPNAME.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Resources/relaunch) to temporary path (/var/folders/d3/tp3xly2j00s5ztd9rbskg0hm0000gp/T/relaunch)!

I am able to browse around in the /private/var/ sub folders without root permissions. My account has full read/write permissions in there.

I noticed, however, that the default archive extractor (a third party one, not the built-in mac one) does not have permission to extract the downloaded update file in the /var/folders/d3/tp3xly2j00s5ztd9rbskg0hm0000gp/T/ folder. I am

I just ran an update for TextSoap, which I believe also uses Sparkle. The update file downloaded fine. Then the following error was generated after I clicked "Install and relaunch":

An error occurred while relaunching TextSoap, but the new version will be available next time you run TextSoap.

And in the console:
12/05/13 8:50:16.322 AM textsoap7[12677]: Sparkle Error: An error occurred while relaunching TextSoap, but the new version will be available next time you run TextSoap.
12/05/13 8:50:16.323 AM textsoap7[12677]: Sparkle Error (continued): Couldn't find the relauncher (expected to find it at (null))

It seems to me that this is an issue with the "relaunch" system. I see a file called relaunch in the location:
/private/var/folders/d3/tp3xly2j00s5ztd9rbskg0hm0000gp/T/

I gather that's involved in the Sparkle update relaunch process. TextSoap was at least able to update itself. And then I had to manually close it and reopen. The other app (Scrivener) I have been having this issue with does get as far as installing the updated app file.

SOLVED: Okay. Fixed. I noticed odd ACL settings on the relaunch file. I manually sorted them out (using PropEdit). The app with the major update issue was then able to update. The update process cleaned away the "relaunch" unix file entirely. Problem solved.

Thanks for sending me in the right direction SevenBits.

@jonathannz jonathannz closed this May 12, 2013

No problem. Glad I could help.

On May 12, 2013, at 10:33 AM, jonathannz notifications@github.com wrote:

Tried another update... error message remains the same:

12/05/13 8:23:16.877 AM Scrivener[10247]: Sparkle Error: An error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again later.
12/05/13 8:23:16.877 AM Scrivener[10247]: Sparkle Error (continued): Couldn't copy relauncher (/Applications/THEAPPNAME.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Resources/relaunch) to temporary path (/var/folders/d3/tp3xly2j00s5ztd9rbskg0hm0000gp/T/relaunch)!

I am able to browse around in the /private/var/ sub folders without root permissions. My account has full read/write permissions in there.

I noticed, however, that the default archive extractor (a third party one, not the built-in mac one) does not have permission to extract the downloaded update file in the /var/folders/d3/tp3xly2j00s5ztd9rbskg0hm0000gp/T/ folder. I am

I just ran an update for TextSoap, which I believe also uses Sparkle. The update file downloaded fine. Then the following error was generated after I clicked "Install and relaunch":

An error occurred while relaunching TextSoap, but the new version will be available next time you run TextSoap.

And in the console:
12/05/13 8:50:16.322 AM textsoap7[12677]: Sparkle Error: An error occurred while relaunching TextSoap, but the new version will be available next time you run TextSoap.
12/05/13 8:50:16.323 AM textsoap7[12677]: Sparkle Error (continued): Couldn't find the relauncher (expected to find it at (null))

It seems to me that this is an issue with the "relaunch" system. I see a file called relaunch in the location:
/private/var/folders/d3/tp3xly2j00s5ztd9rbskg0hm0000gp/T/

I gather that's involved in the Sparkle update relaunch process. TextSoap was at least able to update itself. And then I had to manually close it and reopen. The other app (Scrivener) I have been having this issue with does get as far as installing the updated app file.

SOLVED: Okay. Fixed. I noticed odd ACL settings on the relaunch file. I manually sorted them out (using PropEdit). The app with the major update issue was then able to update. The update process cleaned away the "relaunch" unix file entirely. Problem solved.

Thanks for sending me in the right direction SevenBits.


Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment