Kodi Add-on: A frontend for MAME with the UMSA twist
What's the difference?
This frontend uses the information from https://umsa.info which shows all ports, conversions, remakes and sometimes clones and homebrews which are in MAME for the same software.
Warning: This software is in alpha status. So expect bugs, chrashes and not working features.
- Filter options for softwarelists, categories, number of players and years.
- Lists for source, softwarelists, categories, publishers, years and play status.
- Tries to choose the best machine for an entry from a softwarelist.
- Simple support for different emulators.
- Support for ProgettoSnaps artwork and datfiles.
- Moves taken snapshots from machine directory to software list directory.
- A working MAME installation, see http://mamedev.org
- The Kodi mediacenter, see https://kodi.tv
- Some artwork from http://www.progettosnaps.net, otherwise it's so empty
- Some dat files like https://www.arcade-history.com and http://mameinfo.mameworld.info for additional informations
How to install:
- Download the Add-on: https://umsa.info/umsa.mame.surfer.zip
- Start Kodi, go to Settings (the icon on top in the middle), System, Add-ons and activate Unknown sources
- Go back to main menu, Add-ons, use the icon on the top left, Install from zip file and choose umsa.mame.surfer.zip
- Go back to main menu, Add-ons and you should see the UMSA MAME Surfer icon.
- Select it and the Settings will pop up. Configure what you can.
- ProgettoSnaps: only unzipped images like cabinets/cabinets/snes.png are supported
- Now the Add-on will start. Have fun.
Optional: Go to Settings, Interface, Fonts and set to Arial based to get Kanjis. You need to set the Settings level at least to Standard.
- The enter button starts the emulation.
- In the dat section enter popups a list for Recommended, Series, Videos and Manuals.
- The context button (key c) opens a popup for different lists.
- Go up from the top for a menu which contains the Filter options.
- Scan dat files and artwork pictures to database for faster access and startup.
- Speed up unoptimized databases statements (sometimes needs seconds).
- Add favorite lists.
See also: https://github.com/sparrowred/screensaver.picture.slideshow, a fork of a Kodi Screensaver with support for UMSA MAME surfer.
Contact: sparrowred16 at this gmail thing com