Java Stream ORM
Speedment is an open source Java Stream ORM toolkit and runtime. The toolkit analyzes the metadata of an existing SQL database and automatically creates a Java representation of the data model. This powerful ORM enables you to create scalable and efficient Java applications using standard Java streams with no need to type SQL or use any new API.
Speedment was originally developed by researchers and engineers based in Palo Alto with the purpose to simplify and streamline the development of Java database applications by leveraging the Java Stream API.
Speedment is licensed under the business-friendly Apache 2 license. Contribution from users is encouraged. Please feel free to request new features, suggest improvements and file bug reports. Read more about contributing here.
Assuming you have Maven installed and a relational database available, you can start using Speedment in a minute:
Expressing SQL as Java Streams
There is a remarkable resemblance between Java streams and SQL as summarized in the simplified table. This means there is no need for manually writing SQL-queries any more. You can remain in a pure Java world!
Search in a film database for a film with a length greater than 120 minutes:
// Searches are optimized in the background! Optional<Film> longFilm = films.stream() .filter(Film.LENGTH.greaterThan(120)) .findAny();
Results in the following SQL query:
SELECT `film_id`,`title`,`description`,`release_year`, `language_id`,`original_language_id`,`rental_duration`,`rental_rate`, `length`,`replacement_cost`,`rating`,`special_features`, `last_update` FROM `sakila`.`film WHERE (`length` > 120)
Speedment is equipped with the features listed below and more.
View Database Tables as Standard Java Streams
- Pure Java - Stream API instead of SQL eliminates the need of a query language
- Dynamic Joins - Ability to perform joins as Java streams on the application side
- Parallel Streams - Workload can automatically be divided over several threads
Short and Concise Type Safe Code
- Code Generation - Automatic Java representation of the latest state of your database eliminates boilerplate code and the need of manually writing Java Entity classes while minimizing the risk for bugs.
- Null Protection - Minimizes the risk involved with database null values by wrapping to Java Optionals
- Enum Integration - Mapping of String columns to Java Enums increases memory efficiency and type safety
Lazy Evaluation for Increased Performance
- Streams are Lazy - Content from the database is pulled as elements are needed and consumed
- Pipeline Introspection - Optimized performance by short circuiting of stream operations
The tutorials are divided into three sections. The basics are covered in the first section without any expected prior knowledge of Speedment. This builds a foundation of knowledge needed to fully benefit from the following tutorials.
- Tutorial 3 - Speedment Spring Boot Integration; REST assured - it is easy
- Tutorial 4 - Speedment filters based on Json Web Tokens
- Tutorial 5 - Build a Social Network
- Tutorial 6 - Log errors in a database
- Tutorial 7 - Use Speedment with Java EE
- Tutorial 8 - Create Event Sourced Systems
- Documentation - Read the Speedment User Guide.
- JavaDocs - Latest Speedment JavaDocs.
- Examples - There are 15 detailed examples here and more can be found in the User Guide provided above.
- Gitter Chatroom - Reach out to the Speedment developers and other community members via the Gitter chatroom.
- Creating a Pull Request - Pull requests and improvement suggestions from the community are gladly accepted. Find more information here.
Java 8 or later. Make sure your IDE is configured to use JDK 8 (version 1.8.0_40 or newer).
Speedment Open Source comes with support for the following databases out-of-the-box:
For Enterprise database connectors see Speedment Licensing and Pricing.
- Speedment Open Source - This site covers the Speedment Open Source project available under the Apache 2 license.
- Speedment Stream - The same great features as Speedment OSS with support for commercial databases (i.e. Oracle, MS SQL Server, DB2, AS400). Learn more at speedment.com/stream.
- Speedment HyperStream - An extension av Speedment Stream which also includes hypersonic query performance enabled by a unique in-JVM-memory management model. Learn more at speedment.com/hyperStream.
Copyright (c) 2014-2019, Speedment, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Visit www.speedment.com for more info.