ModSecurity for Apache 2.x
Copyright (c) 2004-2013 Trustwave Holdings, Inc. (http://www.trustwave.com/)
You may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at: https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
If any of the files related to licensing are missing or if you have any other questions related to licensing please contact Trustwave Holdings, Inc. directly using the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please refer to: the documentation folder for the reference manual.
OWASP ModSecurity Core Rule Set (CRS)
ModSecurity™ is a web application firewall engine that provides very little protection on its own. In order to become useful, ModSecurity™ must be configured with rules. In order to enable users to take full advantage of ModSecurity™ out of the box, Trustwave's SpiderLabs is providing a free certified rule set for ModSecurity™ 2.x.
Unlike intrusion detection and prevention systems, which rely on signatures specific to known vulnerabilities, the Core Rules provide generic protection from unknown vulnerabilities often found in web applications, which are in most cases custom coded. The Core Rules are heavily commented to allow it to be used as a step-by-step deployment guide for ModSecurity™.
Core Rules Content
In order to provide generic web applications protection, the Core Rules use the following techniques:
- HTTP Protection - detecting violations of the HTTP protocol and a locally defined usage policy.
- Real-time Blacklist Lookups - utilizes 3rd Party IP Reputation
- Web-based Malware Detection - identifies malicious web content by check against the Google Safe Browsing API.
- HTTP Denial of Service Protections - defense against HTTP Flooding and Slow HTTP DoS Attacks.
- Common Web Attacks Protection - detecting common web application security attack.
- Automation Detection - Detecting bots, crawlers, scanners and other surface malicious activity.
- Integration with AV Scanning for File Uploads - detects malicious files uploaded through the web application.
- Tracking Sensitive Data - Tracks Credit Card usage and blocks leakages.
- Trojan Protection - Detecting access to Trojans horses.
- Identification of Application Defects - alerts on application misconfigurations.
- Error Detection and Hiding - Disguising error messages sent by the server.
ModSecurity Rules from Trustwave SpiderLabs
Project Site: https://www.trustwave.com/modsecurity-rules-support.php
Trustwave now provides a commercial certified rule set for ModSecurity 2.x that protects against known attacks that target vulnerabilities in public software and are based on intelligence gathered from real-world investigations, honeypot data and research.
More than 16,000 specific rules, broken out into the following attack categories:
- SQL injection
- Cross-site Scripting (XSS)
- Local File Include
- Remote File Include
User option for application specific rules, covering the same vulnerability classes for applications such as:
- For a complete listing of application coverage, please refer to this link (which is updated daily): https://modsecurity.org/application_coverage.html
Complements and integrates with the OWASP Core Rule Set
IP Reputation capabilities which provide protection against malicious clients identified by the Trustwave SpiderLabs Distributed Web Honeypots
Malware Detection capabilities which prevent your web site from distributing malicious code to clients.