This page is intended as a starting point for newcomers. It is not definitive nor limits development environments to Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP. The only true constant is PHP, but that's a given.
- We mainly use and prioritize Apache, MySQL, and PHP.
- If using Apache, ensure your environment utilizes Apache-specific files (like .htaccess) properly while testing.
- If developing for other web servers (like nginx), keep in mind your contributions may need explaining.
- While potential users may use Saguaro on a more restricted hosting platform, assume and develop as if full system access (e.g. WebM) is available.
- Contributions can eventually be tailored down/disabled to support restricted platforms.
Recommended (not only!) setup:
LAMP Stack does not include GD (php5-gd) by default.
- While all the above distributions use Apache and are flavors of Linux, nginx or alternatives and Windows or alternatives are also suitable.
VirtualBox alternatives: (standalone)