Gerrit newcomer bot for Wikimedia Foundation’s Gerrit code collaboration tool.
It helps DevRel’s in two ways – providing a solution to welcome newcomers and adding a process to query newcomer patches. It typically does two things:
- Add a reviewer (“Welcome, new contributor!”) to a patch submitted by a first time contributor and upload a welcome message in a comment
- Add contributors with five patches submitted only to a group called “Newcomers”. Then to query patches in Gerrit, you fetch by typing in the search terms:
- First time contributors:
reviewer:Welcome, new contributor!(https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/reviewer:%22Welcome%252C+new+contributor!%22)
- New contributors with five patches in total:
$ git clone https://github.com/srish/gerrit-newcomer-bot $ cd gerrit-newcomer-bot $ pip3 install -r requirements Copy gerrit.conf.example as gerrit.conf and enter your details Drop your SSH host key in the project folder (name it as: ssh-host-key) $ python3 watch_newcomers.py
- Register for an account on the test instance of Wikimedia's Gerrit. To register, you will have to sign up here to obtain the credentials
- Add your SSH keys to Gerrit
- While the
watch_newcomers.pyscript is running in the background, clone a test repo and make some changes to it example repository
- To push changes to Gerrit:
git push origin HEAD:refs/for/<branch-name>
- See the magic in action!
Note: If you want to use a different reviewer bot and not
Welcome, new contributor!, you will have to create one using the same process as in Step 1.
The bot is hosted here on Wikimedia's Toolforge: https://tools.wmflabs.org/admin/tool/gerrit-newcomer-bot. To make changes:
$ ssh firstname.lastname@example.org $ become gerrit-newcomer-bot $ cd /www/python/src