PyZMQ: Python bindings for 0MQ
This package contains Python bindings for 0QM. 0MQ is a lightweight and fast messaging implementation.
Building and installation
To build and install this Python package, you will first need to build and install the latest development version of 0MQ itself. After you have done this, follow these steps:
First, copy the
setup.cfg.template file in this directory to
and edit the include_dirs and library_dirs fields of the
file to point to the directories that contain the library and header file for
your 0MQ installation.
Second, run this command:
$ python setup.py install
Cython is not required to build pyzmq, but it is required if you want to develop pyzmq.
Generally you'll need to add the location of
libzmq.dll to your
Here's Microsoft's docs:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7d83bc18(VS.80).aspx on this topic.
It is best to compile both ØMQ and PyØMQ with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 or above. You should not need to use mingw.
On Linux, you will need to do one of the following:
LD_LIBRARY_PATHto point to the
libdirectory of 0MQ.
Build the extension using the
$ python setup.py build_ext --rpath=/opt/zeromq-dev/lib --inplace
To develop PyZMQ, you will need to install Cython, version 0.13 or greater.
After installing Cython, instead of doing
python setup.py install do:
$ python setup.py build_ext --inplace $ python setupegg.py develop
This will build the C extension inplace and then put this directory on your
sys.path. With this configuration you only have to run:
$ python setup.py build_ext --inplace
each time you change the
.pyx files. To clean the sources, you can do:
$ python setup.py clean
To run the test suite after installing, just do:
$ python setup.py test
This project was started by Brian E. Granger (ellisonbg AT gmail DOT com).
The following people have contributed to the project:
- Carlos Rocha (carlos DOT rocha AT gmail DOT com)
- Andrew Gwozdziewycz (git AT apgwoz DOT com)
- Fernando Perez (fernando DOT perez AT berkeley DOT edu)
- Nicholas Piel (nicholas AT nichol DOT as)
- Eugene Chernyshov (chernyshov DOT eugene AT gmail DOT com)
- Justin Riley (justin DOT t DOT riley AT gmail DOT com)
- Ivo Danihelka (ivo AT denihelka DOT net)
- Thomas Supra (tomspur AT fedoraproject DOT org)
- Douglas Creager (dcreager AT dcreager DOT net)
- Erick Tryzelaar <erick DOT tryzelaar AT gmail DOT com>