Ada BFD Library
The Ada-BFD is a library which provides Ada API for GNU Binutils BFD library. It works on any version of GNU Binutils (starting at 2.15). The recommended version for GNU Binutils is at least the 2.28.
The Ada-BFD library allows to:
- list and scan the ELF sections of an executable or object file,
- get the content of the ELF sections,
- get access to the symbol table,
- use the BFD disassembler
The Ada BFD library is distributed under the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE, Version 2 (see COPYING).
The unit tests used by Ada BFD use the Ada Util and Ada Test Util libraries distributed under the Apache License Version 2 (see testutil/LICENSE.txt). They also use the Ahven Unit Test Library distributed under the ISC license (see testutil/LICENSE.Ahven). These unit test libraries are not installed.
Installing and compiling Ada BFD
To compile Ada BFD you'll need:
- an Ada compiler (GNAT 2018 or gcc 7.3).
- the binutils 2.28 or higher installed for development. You need the bfd.h include as well as libbfd and libiberty. On Debian systems (including Ubuntu) install the development packages by using:
sudo apt-get install binutils-dev
On NetBSD 6.1, you need to install by using:
sudo pkgin install binutils-2.26.1nb1 sudo pkgin install gettext-lib-0.19.8.1
Run the GNU configure command and build the library:
./configure make make check
You can install the library by using:
Compiling the Ada BFD samples
Several samples are provided to show how to use the Ada BFD library. To build them, use: