with apologies to Edward Albee
This application was built in fulfillment of a code test, spec as follows:
Please create a Rails application for keeping a catalog of zoos. The app should have the following features:
- Every zoo has a name and a list of animals.
- Every animal has a name and a species and belongs to a single zoo.
- A user can perform standard CRUD operations (create, read, update, delete) for zoos and animals.
- For each zoo, the user can see a list of its animals.
- The user can see a list of all zoos with the number of unique species present in each zoo. (For example: If the Clackamas County Zoo has a monkey named Alice, a monkey named Bob, and an elephant named Zeus, then its number of species is 2.)
- It should use a SQL data store (compatible with PostgreSQL) and run Rails version 3.2 or above.
Note the lack of authentication, authorization, or secrets setup - these was not called for in the spec. They would likely be implemented with the Devise, Cancancan or Pundit, and Figaro gems respectively. Todo: integration testing?
See it running at stephancom-zoo-story
Ruby on Rails
This application requires:
- Ruby 2.2.4
- Rails 4.2.5
Learn more about Installing Rails.
= Local setup
- clone repository
- set up database.yml
- rake db:setup
= Heroku setup steps
heroku create [OPTIONAL SERVER NAME] git push heroku master heroku run rake db:migrate heroku run rake db:seed heroku open
Documentation and Support
by: _ _ __| |_ ___ _ __| |_ __ _ _ _ __ ___ _ __ (_-< _/ -_) '_ \ ' \/ _` | ' \ _/ _/ _ \ ' \ /__/\__\___| .__/_||_\__,_|_||_(_)__\___/_|_|_| |_| email@example.com
Rails Composer is supported by developers who purchase our RailsApps tutorials.
Need help? Ask on Stack Overflow with the tag 'railsapps.'
Your application contains diagnostics in the README file. Please provide a copy of the README file when reporting any issues.
If the application doesn't work as expected, please report an issue and include the diagnostics.