Contributors: stephenharris Donate link: http://www.stephenharris.info Tags: markdown, formatting, prettify, syntax highlighter, code Requires at least: 3.1 Tested up to: 3.5.1 Stable tag: 1.2
Allows Markdown to be enabled in posts, comments and bbPress forums.
This plug-in allows you to write posts (of any post type) using the Markdown syntax. The plug-in converts the Markdown into HTML prior to saving the post. When editing a post, the plug-in converts it back into Markdown syntax.
The plug-in also allows you to enable Markdown in comments and BBPress forums. In these instances the plug-in adds a toolbar, and preview of the processed Markdown with Prettify syntax highlighter applied (similiar to that used in the Stack Exchange websites such as WordPress Stack Exchange).
WP-Markdown stores the processed HTML, so deactivating the plug-in will not affect your posts, comments or bbPress forums.
Installation is standard and straight forward.
markdownfolder (and all it's contents!) to the
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress
- Go to your Settings > Writing page and enable markdown for the appropriate post types and comments.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I use Markdown syntax?
For information on how to use Markdown sytnax pleae read: Markdown: syntax.
What happens to the post content if I uninstall the plug-in?
The plug-in uses Markdown to generate the appropriate HTML prior to the post saving to the database. When you edit a post, it is converted back to Markdown syntax. Once the plug-in is uninstalled you'll simply rever to editing the posts' HTML.
How do I embed content?
A clean install of WordPress allows you to (for example) include a YouTube url on a seperate line, whereupon it will automatically embed the video. This is not possible with WP-MarkDown installed (I tried - I broke more things. But if you manage it, feel free to make a pull-request: https://github.com/stephenharris/WP-MarkDown).
You'll need to use the
How do I prevent a bit of the page being parsed as MarkDown?
Enclose it in a
div tag. It'll be ignored.
How do I allow the contents of a
div tag to be parsed as MarkDown?
- The Markdown toolbar and previewer on a bbPress forum
- Plug-in settings, located at the bottom of the Writing settings page
- The Markdown toolbar and previewer on a comment form
- Example of Markdown syntax
- The output of the example Markdown
** 1.2 **
- Fixes problems with images nested inside links. See #12
- Ensure prettify is loaded, if needed, on home page. See #6
- Updated Markdownify
- Updated Prettify
- Removes the wpautop/unwpautop functions. If using oembed, use embed shortcodes.
- Adds public wrapper functions.
- Remove bbPress front-end tinymce editor if using MarkDown
- Fixes bug introduced in 1.1.4 where line breaks are stripped (affects code blocks).
- Fixes bug where oembed would not work. Thanks ot Michael & Vinicius
- Adds a filters for MarkDown 'help' text:
- Support for MarkDown extra (currently not supported in pagedown previewer)
- Stable with WordPress 3.4
- Fixed bug relating title attributes for links and images
- Fixed bug relating to comments by logged out users
- Fixed backslash bug
- Added option to replace TinyMCE with Markdown help bar on post editor
- Initial release
1.1.5 If you have upgraded to 1.1.4, please upgrade to 1.1.5. This release fixes a bug introduced in 1.1.4 (see http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-wp-markdown-breaks-oembed-support)
- Added option to enable the Markdown help bar on the backend post editor. Simple check Markdown help bar for 'Post editor' in the settings.