StepMania is a free and open source, cross-platform rhythm game. It supports common key-based rhythm game formats (including 4-panel and 5-panel dance games among others), as well as keyboard and dance pad controllers. It is customizable with user-made add-ons such as themes, and provides an integrated editor for creating your own simfiles.
StepMania can also be used with dance game cabinets, and has been used as the basis for several major commercial products including Pump it Up Infinity and StepManiaX.
The docs need a TON of work! Please ask on the forums and suggest anything you think should be in here. We devs know way too much detailed technical stuff and it's hard to pick up what people actually want to know - so any requests for documentation are really welcomed.
Configuration & Setup
- Beginner's Guide - a general guide for new players
- System Requirements
- Installing StepMania - install guide for Windows, macOS, and Linux
- Customizing StepMania - information about custom Themes, NoteSkins, Announcers, etc.
- Changing StepMania Preferences
Basic Engine Info
- Versions - historical overview of StepMania versions
- User data locations - where to install custom content
- Default Key Bindings
- Supported games
- Play modes
- Supported file formats
Arcade Machine Hardware
Command Line Arguments
StepMania accepts a number of command line arguments.
--theme="themename"- Sets the theme to use.
--language=lang- Sets the language to use.
--ExportLuaInformation- Exports Lua documentation to