Testing Like You've Never Tested Before (Because You Haven't)
Testing software in an automated fashion is one of the best ways to guarantee quality, reduce bugs, and prevent regressions in our code, and is a prerequisite to operating in a Continuous Integration environment. Unfortunately, the most difficult parts of testing come right at the beginning: scaffolding a test suite and writing our very first tests. For those who are new to automated testing, these hurdles can prove overwhelming.
This talk covers the fundamentals of testing, in a beginner-friendly way. We'll discuss how testing makes software better, the various levels of the Automation Pyramid, how to scaffold some basic unit and integration tests, and discuss the characteristics of great tests.
- Testing with Guzzle
- The Five Types of Test Doubles & How to Create Them in PHPUnit by Jessica Mauerhan
- Longhorn PHP 2019 — May 4, 2019 (Joind.in)
- Ohio Laravel Meetup — April 3, 2019 (YouTube, PDF)
- Midwest PHP 2019 — March 9, 2019 (Joind.in, PDF)
- Nomad PHP — January 17, 2019 (Video, PDF)
- CodeMash 2019 — January 11, 2019 (PDF)
- WavePHP 2018 — September 21, 2018 (Joind.in, PDF)
- WordCamp Kent 2018 — June 9, 2018 (PDF)