Facebook Ad Highlighter Chrome Extension
This extension highlights Facebook advertisements in a user’s news feed.
NOTE: this does not cover ads in the right sidebar, which Facebook has not "adblock-proofed," only those in the newsfeed, which Facebook is attempting to make visible even to users using adblock.
- Fixed a glitch where the first sponsored post was not recognized.
- Fixed a small bug that prevented detection of the new ads with "Sponsored" based on pseudoselectors
- Added a "close" button to the highlighting overlay so users can interact with the ad if they wish.
- Search for the "Sponsored" text includes text added using the :before/:after pseudoselectors.
- Add the locale-specific "Sponsored" text below "THIS IS AN AD"
- Added support for all Facebook locales.
- manifest.json contains information about the overall structure of the extension as well as the title, version number, and description.
- popup is just a simple description of the extension that appears when the user clicks the icon in the upper right.
- ad_remover.js is the script that runs on facebook.com, searches for ads, and highlights them.
- locale_info.js keeps information about the "Sponsored" text in various languages to support all Facebook locales.
- externalCode contains jquery 1.12.4
Running This Extension
Or, to get this running from the source code on your local machine (Chrome only):
- navigate to "chrome://extensions"
- click the checkbox next to "Developer mode" in the upper right hand corner
- click the "Load unpacked extension..." button below the "Extensions" title
- select the “fbAdRemover” folder from your filesystem
- refresh any open Facebook pages