Python GraphQL library based on dataclasses
Installation ( Quick Start )
The quick start method provides a server and CLI to get going quickly. Install with:
pip install "strawberry-graphql[debug-server]"
Create a file called
app.py with the following code:
import strawberry @strawberry.type class User: name: str age: int @strawberry.type class Query: @strawberry.field def user(self) -> User: return User(name="Patrick", age=100) schema = strawberry.Schema(query=Query)
This will create a GraphQL schema defining a
User type and a single query
user that will return a hardcoded user.
To run the debug server run the following command:
strawberry server app
Open the debug server by clicking on the following link: http://0.0.0.0:8000/graphql
This will open GraphiQL where you can test the API.
Strawberry comes with a mypy plugin that enables statically type-checking your
GraphQL schema. To enable it, add the following lines to your
[mypy] plugins = strawberry.ext.mypy_plugin
A Django view is provided for adding a GraphQL endpoint to your application.
- Add the app to your
INSTALLED_APPS = [ ..., # your other apps "strawberry.django", ]
- Add the view to your
from strawberry.django.views import GraphQLView from .schema import schema urlpatterns = [ ..., path("graphql", GraphQLView.as_view(schema=schema)), ]
To support graphql Subscriptions over WebSockets you need to provide a WebSocket enabled server. The debug server can be made to support WebSockets with these commands:
pip install 'strawberry-graphql[debug-server]' pip install 'uvicorn[standard]'
- Various examples on how to use Strawberry
- Full stack example using Starlette, SQLAlchemy, Typescript codegen and Next.js
- Quart + Strawberry tutorial
We use poetry to manage dependencies, to get started follow these steps:
git clone https://github.com/strawberry-graphql/strawberry cd strawberry poetry install poetry run pytest
This will install all the dependencies (including dev ones) and run the tests.
We have a configuration for pre-commit, to add the hook run the following command:
- Project homepage: https://strawberry.rocks
- Repository: https://github.com/strawberry-graphql/strawberry
- Issue tracker: https://github.com/strawberry-graphql/strawberry/issues
- In case of sensitive bugs like security vulnerabilities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly instead of using the issue tracker. We value your effort to improve the security and privacy of this project!
The code in this project is licensed under MIT license. See LICENSE for more information.