This software package concerns the eye-map of Drosophila
melanogaster made by Erich Buchner during his diplom thesis in
1971. These data were digitized from a high resolution scan of
Buchner's figure and converted to 3D and saved to the included file
Tested with Python 2 and 3.
cd drosophila_eye_map python precompute_buchner71_optics.py cd .. python setup.py install
Souce code repository
This source code is being hosted at https://github.com/strawlab/drosophila_eye_map
Python package requirements
To use any of the included programs, you will need the Python
language. For full functionality, this package depends on basemap,
numpy, scipy, cgkit (1.x), matplotlib, the Python Imaging
Library, and, optionally, the Python VTK bindings. To simply use
receptor_directions_buchner71.csv file, however, any program
which can open a CSV (comma separated values) file will work.
Data of Buchner showing the eye map of Drosophila melanogaster
eye map overlaid on a colormap showing interommatidial distance
averaged over each ommatidium's nearest neighbors. (This image was
generated using the
make_buchner_interommatidial_distance_figure.py script included
in the package.)
Interactive 3D view of the eyemap. (This was generated using the
precomputed_buchner71.py script included in the package.)
Same data as the color stereographic projection above, but plotted
on an orthographic projection for comparison with an eyemap of
Eristalis tenax. (This image was generated using the
make_buchner_interommatidial_distance_figure.py script included in
To download current and older versions of this package, go to the download page
These programs and files have been extracted from Andrew Straw's fsee software package for simulating the visual world of Drosophila described in Dickson, Straw, and Dickinson (2008) , part of the GUF endeavor. At the 2nd International Conference on Invertebrate Vision in Sweden, 2008, Andrew learned that a digitized form of the Drosophila eye map would be useful to others, and so he created this package.
This is release 0.5.0, released 27 July 2017.
Contents of the package
In the top directory:
- CHANGELOG.txt - list of changes since last release
- LICENSE.txt - the (BSD) license
- README.txt - this file
- setup.py - script to install the software
- upload_stuff.sh - script to release a package (only useful for maintainer)
- drosophila_eye_map/ - subdirectory, see below
- __init__.py - Empty file required for Python
- inspect_weightmap.py - raphical program to inspect weightmap
- make_buchner_interommatidial_distance_figure.py - Plot Buchner's data overlaid on a colormap showing mean interommatidial distance.
- plot_receptors_vtk.py - Python script which is automatically inserted into the output of
- precompute_buchner71_optics.py - Python script used to take the output of
trace_buchner_1971.pyand convert it to a 3D coordinate system. Furthermore, a Gaussian spatial weighting map inspired by Neumann (2002)  is also implemented. These precomputed data are then saved for use by other programs as a file called
- receptor_directions_buchner71.csv - Comma separated value (CSV) file which indicates the directions of the ommaditial axes in 3D as vectors in a unit sphere. Output by
precompte_buchner71_optics.py. Note that this includes axes for both eyes (1398 ommatidia). To get the axes for a single eye, take the first or last 699 rows. The coordinate system is arranged so that +X is frontal (rostral), +Y is left, and +Z is dorsal.
- trace_buchner_1971.py - Python script used to digitize the locations of the ommatidial axes on the stereographic projection of eye_map.gif.
- util.py - Utility routines used by
This software was written by Andrew Straw <firstname.lastname@example.org>, is copyright by the California Institute of Technology, and is licensed under the BSD license. See the LICENSE.txt file for details.
ArthroVision by the Invariant Corporation is an insect optics simulation package.
(See also the History section, above, for a description of Andrew Straw's fsee software package.)
|||Buchner, E. (1971) Dunkelanregung des stationaeren Flugs der Fruchtfliege Drosophila. Dipl Thesis, Univ Tuebingen.|
|||Heisenberg, M. and Wolf, R., (1984) Vision in Drosophila: Genetics Microbehavior (Studies of Brain Function). Springer Verlag.|
|||Dickson, W.B., Straw, A.D., and Dickinson, M.H. (2008) "Integrative Model of Drosophila Flight." AIAA Journal, 46(9). doi: 10.2514/1.29862|
|||Neumann, T. (2002) "Modeling Insect Compound Eyes: Space-Variant Spherical Vision." Biologically Motivated Computer Vision, Proceedings. Springer Verlag. Vol 2525, pp. 360-367. doi: 10.1007/3-540-36181-2_36|