Contribute Articles to We Use Coins (WUC)
WeUseCoins is one of the highest profile and visited websites in Bitcoin. Our video What Is Bitcoin? has had over 7.5 million views and What Is Bitcoin Mining? has had over 2 million views. We want WUC and BM to be a classy resource to introduce people to the concept of crypto-currency.
Earn Money Contributing
Due to a generous donation there is a budget for content creation. The goal is to pay about $25/hour of work for new articles. Want to earn money submitting new articles?
Follow the instructions below and submit an article. If the pull request gets merged then you will get paid $25 via bitcoins. To get paid you will need to contact us either in the WeUseCoins Slack (send an email request to email@example.com) or Bitcoin Core Slack channel. Future articles can then be assigned so you can earn more!
Build Your Bitcoin Business
You can responsibly leverage WUC to build your Bitcoin business! For example, you could use WUC for your blog which would have several advantages such as higher search engine visibility and extremely optimized hosting.
WUC uses Github to manage version control with a fork and pull method. Watch this video by Clay Shirky to understand why. This means your articles and contributions should be submitted as a pull request. Consequently, If you are unfamiliar then you may need to learn how to create a pull request and how to use pull requests plus this short video may be helpful.
Articles should be (1) well written, (2) accurate, (3) grammatically correct and (4) objective. Get audience exposure and build your reputation by receiving credit and a link in the byline for the article. Developing a good reputation will help your articles get merged in a more timely manner.
To increase the probability of success please follow these guidelines:
Author Biography Article
- Create an author biography article.
- Appropriate examples: Individual: Live; Github; Corporate: Live; Github
- For the Author URL in the layout use a website of your choice
Writing Articles For WUC
- Create an objective article in the _posts folder
- Use the Year-Month-Date in the file name. Ex. 2015-1-23-bitcoin.md
- Fill out the Author and Author URL (use your WUC Author Biography article).
- Length should be 500-1,200 words. However, the main criteria is quality and usefulness. Do not be afraid to create a 5,000 word guide if it is awesome.
- Even better, develop a content creation plan. Take advantage of the ZMOT with a hub and spoke model.
- Perform at least basic Search Engine Optimization (Ex. Free Tool).
- Link to and from other relevant pages on weusecoins.com like the extensive FAQ
- Optimize images (Ex. Kraken.io)
- Find websites that will link to the article
- Mention the article on social media like Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, etc.
- Thanks for your help!
What Not To Do
WUC is not a low class marketing directory. Do not SPAM links in articles. Add appropriate and objective links to Bitcoin community or news websites in the community section.
For obvious reasons, when dealing with translations you should not change the meaning of any text or add or change links. Such changes should be discussed first.
Other Language Versions
For Web developers / Designers / Translators
Each localized version of WUC is independent of each other and uses static HTML, CSS or PHP files.
Folders are currently ready for the following languages and labled by ISO 639 language codes:
- Chinese [zh]
- Dutch [nl]
- English [en] - This is the default source.
- German [de]
- French [fr]
- Greek [el]
- Norwegian [no]
- Japanese [ja]
- Polish [pl]
- Portugese [pt]
- Russian [ru]
- Spanish [es]
- Swedish [sv]
- Tagalog/Filipino [tl]
- Turkish [tr]
There are legacy versions of German [de], Dutch [nl], French [fr] and Japanese [ja]. After a sufficient amount has been translated in the new folders [/de1/ /fr1/ /ja1/ and /nl1/] then we will migrate from the legacy versions.
If you would like to work on a language where the folder structure has not been setup then create an issue for inclusion or submit the appropriate pull request.
Example: You want to translate to Spanish.
- (1) In _includes/default-es.html change lines 31-37 at /es/page by translating the anchor text [Note: This will make sure the internal link structure is correct.].
- (2) Begin translating pages and we recommend in this order (1) homepage [index], (2) getting started, (3) glossary [only needed for fi, no and tl], (4) questions [FAQ] [only needed for fi, no and tl], (5) price, (6) mining guide, (7) merchant and (8) get free bitcoins.
This order should help get useful content available most efficiently.
Translations should be accurate and professional. However, the maintainer for the language will have editorial discretion for what content should appear. This will enable adaptation to best fit each language's requirements, available resources, local businesses or active groups and general market conditions. Suggestions and recommendations
Unfortunately, pages can easily get out of date if not maintained. That includes the HTML, fonts, CSS, scripts, social networks, etc. and allows us to update other languages when a translator is missing for a specific language. The materials directory is used as a shared directory to store files that take significant disk space like videos. Please help fix any broken links, bugs, typos, grammatical errors and such.
Please keep HTML structure as symetric and perfectly identical as possible between each page and each localized version. This should not prevent adding unique things for some languages. But please keep the rest as close as possible. This helps keep consistency. HTML structure
Subtitles for What is Bitcoin? are available in the /material/wib_video/v2 folder. Some finished translated versions are currently available. More would be appreciated. If you can do the voiceover then please submit a pull request with the mp3 and we can get the translated video made and uploaded to Youtube. This thread can help us prioritize which languages to work on. Video translations
- de - German - v1 full
- el - Greek - Could not find on Youtube
- es - Spanish - v1 full
- fi - Finnish - Could not find on Youtube
- fr - French - v1 full
- it - Italian - v1 full
- ja - Japanese - v2 subtitled
- nl - Dutch - v1 subtitled
- no - Norwegian - Could not find on Youtube
- pl - Polish - v1 full
- pt - Portugese - v1 full
- ro - Romanian - v2 full
- ru - Russian - v1 full
- sv - Swedish - Could not find on Youtube
- tl - Tagalog/Filipino - Could not find on Youtube
- tr - Turkish - v1 full
- zh - Chinese - v1 subtitled
WUC is about providing a useful resource for the entire cryptocurrency community. Consequently, there is an entire section devoted to Alt-Coins. Want to see your favorite alt-coin included? Then please talk to the developers or submit the pull requests yourself. Some article ideas would be:
- [alt-coin] guide
- Alt-coin price ticker widgets
- [alt-coin] price/value ticker widgets
- how to get started with [alt-coin]
- best [alt-coin] wallet
- best [alt-coin] exchange
- how to get [alt-coin]
- how to use [alt-coin]
- [how to pay with [alt-coin]
- [alt-coin] shopping cart
- what is [alt-coin] mining
- [alt-coin] miner
- how to mine [alt-coin]
- [alt-coin] mining hardware
Articles for these particular alt-coins are needed because they seem to have a significant amount of trading volume: