Venue by SuperHi
This project is a small Ruby on Rails project for uploading image bookmarks - styled up with Sass, images hosted on Amazon S3 and site hosted on Heroku
- View all posts
- View a single post with more detail
- Add a new post
- Edit post
- Delete posts
What's in a post?
- body <textarea>
- when it was created (auto added by rails)
- when it was updated (auto added by rails)
How to install...
Once you've installed Ruby, Rails and Git using installrails.com, open your terminal and go to a folder of your choic. You can install this project by doing...
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:superhi/venue.git
You can edit the code to fit! The code is fully commented
Most of the comments in this projects are in:
To set up the secrets
My AWS keys and secrets in the video won't work because of security reasons. To add your own...
- Sign up to Amazon Web Services http://aws.amazon.com/
- Go to IAM and create a new user with a group setting ability to Full S3 settings
- Go to S3 and create a new bucket in the US (N Virgina region)
- Next go to your command line after setup and type in
- Keep hold of your secret key, the bit after "Adding config/secrets.yml.key to store the encryption key: ....."
- Next, if you're using Atom, type in
EDITOR="atom --wait" rails secrets:edit
- Add in the following code to that new file and save:
development: aws_key: REPLACE_WITH_YOUR_AWS_KEY aws_secret: REPLACE_WITH_YOUR_AWS_SECRET aws_bucket: REPLACE_WITH_YOUR_AWS_S3_BUCKET production: aws_key: REPLACE_WITH_YOUR_AWS_KEY aws_secret: REPLACE_WITH_YOUR_AWS_SECRET aws_bucket: REPLACE_WITH_YOUR_AWS_S3_BUCKET
To get on Heroku
- Sign up for a Heroku account
- Install the Heroku CLI tool
heroku createwhile in your project in your command line
- Commit any changes to git with
git commit -am "YOUR COMMIT MESSAGE"
- Add your Rails secret key to Heroku by running
heroku config:set RAILS_MASTER_KEY=WHATEVER_YOUR_KEY_IS_IN_THE_ABOVE_STEP
- Push your code
git push heroku master
- Update your DB if needed with
heroku run rails db:migrate
Rik + Team SuperHi