This Week in Superpowers #3
Clone this wiki locally
Covering the week of 2016-01-29 to 2016-02-04.
This Week in Superpowers is a weekly report about what's happening in the community!
Superpowers is an open source HTML5 2D+3D game maker featuring real-time collaboration and incredible extensibility.
- The Global Game Jam happened.
- Sparklin Labs and friends released Lumberjack Jacques and the Ritual of Doom
- TheSoozesayer is working on a 2D top-down game with procedurally generated dungeons
- Crazyrems released Taxdri, a 3D taxi driving game
- ZeAmateis has been playing around with the tile map editor and Sphax's BDCraft textures
- Brawrdon is working on Blip Blop, a mobile arcade game
- Phrawger and his team released Catastrophic Breakdown
- TheTitim released a top-down shooting game
- Game from Scratch started a Superpowers tutorial series
Global Game Jam improvements
We spent the week end doing the Global Game Jam, giving us a great opportunity to find and fix many bugs. As a result, the following was fixed or improved:
- Dropping assets in component editors
- The font editor's Download button
- URLs now turn into links in the chat
- The Z position of an actor is no longer overwritten by ArcadePhysics 2D
- Some TypeScript errors were not reported correctly
- A bug with shaders in SpriteRenderer.setColor was fixed
- When picking actors with the mouse in the scene editor, clicking again will now cycle through all hovered actors!
We've been delaying the next release a bit because we're getting close to a first version of the redesigned launcher.
Instead of having a Superpowers v0.20 release that includes the launcher, the server and Superpowers Game, we'll be splitting them into:
- Superpowers Launcher v1.0: a platform-specific package including Electron
- Superpowers Server v1.0: a small platform-independent package
- Superpowers Game v1.0: also a small platform-independent package
Going forward, you'll only have to redownload the launcher from the website from time to time. The server and Superpowers Game (as well as other systems you might want to install) will be downloaded and checked for updates automatically.
By splitting them up, we'll have smaller downloads and faster release cycles. But before that, we need to finish up all that work.
Pull requests and other development news
- AgileJoshua submitted initial Swedish translations for Superpowers and Superpowers Game
- FlorentPoujol fixed the
data-pathserver option being ignored
- nounoursheureux made sure newly-created folders aren't collapsed
- chrisbubernak added a button for filtering the asset tree (being reviewed!)
- AgileJoshua has fixed multi-touch on iOS (being reviewed!)
- felladrin translated Superpowers Game in Brazilian Portuguese
There are even more pull requests in the pipeline, we'll mention them next week when we've had the chance to review them. We're thrilled by the amount of contributions!
In other news:
- Superpowers's dialog system was extracted into its own repository and npm package (demo)
- In Superpowers Game, a sprite's grid size will now automatically be setup on first upload
Help wanted! ^_^
There are lots of issues in the various repositories for planned features or bugs to fix. We'd love your help so if something tickles your fancy, comment and ask for guidance if needed. We'll be happy to get you up to speed!