linux text editor
Clone this wiki locally
Table of Contents
On Linux, we suggest the GEdit text editor.
GEdit should already be installed on your computer. To start GEdit: click Applications, point to Accessories, and click Text Editor. If you don't have this option, let a staff member know.
If you prefer to start applications from a terminal, you can type the following into a terminal to launch GEdit:
- Click Edit -> Preferences
- Select the tab labeled "Editor"
- In the "Tab width" field, set it to 4 (the default is 8)
- Check the box labeled "Insert spaces instead of tabs"
- Check the box labeled "Enable automatic indentation"
- Click Close.
If you prefer a different editor for text, check with an instructor before moving on to make sure it will work for the weekend.