windows text editor
Clone this wiki locally
On Windows, we suggest the Notepad++ text editor. It is actually unrelated to the Windows default program called Notepad.
To install it:
- Click and download http://download.tuxfamily.org/notepadplus/5.9/npp.5.9.Installer.exe
- Run the installer, and follow the process to the end.
- In Windows Vista or Windows 7, click on the Start menu, type Notepad++ in the Search Field, and hit enter.
- In Windows XP, click on the Start menu, navigate to All Programs, and then navigate to Notepad++.
- Click Settings -> Preferences
- Find the tab labeled "Language Menu/Tab Settings"
- Find the box labeled "Replace by space", and make sure it is checked
- Click Close.
Now you have an editor that you can use to open any text file, including Python programs.
If you have different editor for text, check with an instructor before moving on to make sure it will work for the weekend.