a curated list of awesome dev podcasts and why they are awesome. I don't like normal "awesome" lists because they are usually not well maintained and are typically placed without an explanation of awesome, so here i will actually go out on a limb and say what i think. i'm a webdev and former finance guy so those are my biases.
list started in response to AMA with @lucidsif
note: links are incomplete because i havent had the time to link stuff up, you're gonna wanna just punch them in to your podcatcher anyway
- React Native Radio: by the React Native Training guys, what it says on the tin
- The React Podcast: Michael Jackson's new podcast (not to be confused with React30), 'nuff said.
- JAMStack Radio: Netlify/Heavybit marketing for the JAMStack idea
- Egghead.io developer chats: by egghead.io instructors :)
- Syntax.fm: Wes Bos and Scott Tolinski are full of tasty treats and sicccccck picks
- JSParty: JS party is back with a huge panel of hosts!
2. Non JS Webdev Technical podcasts
- The Big Web Show: General Web design show: "web publishing, art direction, content strategy, typography, web technology, and more. It's everything web that matters." Great guests like Jen Simmons.
- The Changelog: Interviews of Open Source people. I skip a lot of these but its good to keep tabs on the huge world outside of JS.
- Codepen Radio: The inside look at the technical decisions behind Codepen.io. the early episodes are a GOLDMINE for entrepreogrammers (more below) but now its more just "what's going on with Codepen".
- Shoptalk Show: Chris Coyier and Dave Rupert talk webdev. 'nuff said.
- Toolsday: Una Kravets (Bustle) and Chris Dhanaraj (Netflix) do 20 minutes of tech tools, tips, and tricks. Always worth clicking through to show notes and checking out their recs.
- Non Breaking Space Show: good webdev guests, not really sure what the theme is apart from generic frontend.
- The New Stack: Devops/Cloud topics - honestly a lot of it is above me but this is the most approachable by far.
- Fixate on Code: More good webdev guests :)
- GraphQL Radio: all about the GraphQL
- The Web Platform: starts of with 2 minutes of browser news, and then has awesome webdev guests
- Elm Town: A podcast about writing Web apps in the Elm language, and the people who make up the community
3. Non Webdev Technical podcasts
- Coding Blocks: Reading through and discussing coding style books. Awesome slack community you can find me on daily :)
- Talk Python To Me: does a great job of keeping python topics accessible. Stark contrast to the monotone of Podcast.init (the other big python podcast)
- Data Skeptic: Kyle Polich mansplains data science to his wife Linh Da and she constantly gives him shit. I love it.
- Linear Digressions: Ben and Katie talk data science, usually with a lame pun
- Not So Standard Deviations: Roger Peng (professor somewhere) and Hilary Parker (stitchfix) talk data science
- LambdaCast: functional programming for humans, surprisingly large following.
- Machine Learning Guide: very intense topical coverage of ML topics
- TWiMLAI: This Week In Machine Learning and AI: Sam Charrington, THE AI/ML podcast, huge.
- MS Dev Show: Carl and Jason interview people working on technology that Microsoft developers would find interesting
- Inside Facebook Mobile: highlights the technical work of FB's engineers who will discuss everything from low-level frameworks to end-user features by mobile devs
- Startups for the Rest of Us: Rob Walling, Cofounder of Drip, and Mike taber, founder of Bluetick
- Founder's Journey: Josh Pigford of Baremetrics
- Full Stack Radio: Adam Wathan
- Bootstrapped Web: Brian Casel and Jordan Gal
- Indie Hackers: CSAllen is awesome
- Building Infinite Red: The stories behind Infinite Red - a great React Native consultancy
- Explain Blockchain: audio essays on intro topics
- The Bitcoin Podcast: Cello, Dee and Corey talk smack and talk sense about crypto.
- Neocash Radio: good news recap
- Lets Talk Bitcoin: non newbie, non price discussion of blockchain developments. Andreas Antonopoulous is on here a lot
- Unchained: laura shin (ex forbes) on crypto, great guests of course.
- Stanford DFJ ETL: Stanford entrepreneurship talks - a lot of OG founders are on here
- Psychology of Video Games: studying addictiveness from the masters
- Stack Overflow podcast: hilarious
- The Startup Chat: sales/marketing quick hits
- Zen Founder: therapy sessions with Sherry and Rob Walling
- Using Reflection: Mark Weiss talks to people about their tech careers
- Impostor Syndrome: Shameless self plug! long form stories of a panel of people before, during, and after a bootcamp
- Second Career Devs: Kyle Shevlin talks to career changers into development
Generalist Podcasts (Nontechnical as well as Technical Content)
- Software Engineering Daily: a wide variety of content from cloud to blockchain. very good intro pieces by Jeff Meyerson.
- YCombinator: YC podcast, more inspirational than practical. recorded video also.
- a16z: great topic choices from a16z
- acquired.fm: about tech acquisitions and trends
- The Bike Shed: Thoughtbot's podcast
- China Tech Talk: covering China's tech scene
- Command Line Heroes: Saron Yitbarek covers old tech stories
- The Economist: Babbage: The Economist tech column for free
- Exponent.fm: Ben Thompson talks about his weekly articles
- FreeCodeCamp podcast: good FCC articles read aloud
- Autonocast: covering our self driving future
- Frontend Happy Hour: bunch of senior devs (Netflix, Atlassian, etc) drink and talk webdev
Dead Podcasts with good backlogs
- React30: Michael Jackson and Ryan Florence's old podcast about React
- This Developing Story: Good guests
- Zero To Scale: Ended entrepreneurship podcasts
- Partially Derivative: dead data science podcast by Chris and Vidya
- Product Hunt: produc thunt podcast
- The Web Ahead: by Jen Simmons
- 3 Minutes with Kent: Kent Dodds in 3 minutes
- Mapping The Journey: interviews with very very OG creators of tech
TODO: Recommended but havent listened
- Soft Skills Engineering: "Soft Skills Engineering is a weekly advice podcast for software developers. We answer questions about all the stuff you didn't realize you needed to know about being an engineer"
Podcast Tools (from @BrianSchroer)
- Huffduffer: Build your own RSS podcast feed from .mp3 files found anywhere on the web (e.g. individual episodes of podcasts that you might not want to subscribe to)
- Programming Podcasts (@prodpodcasts) Twitter account: Tweets new episode announcements for several podcasts - Great way to discover new podcasts or episodes to listen to