Software Carpentry Windows Installer
Helps mimic a *nix environment on Windows with as little work as possible.
- Installs GNU Make and makes it accessible from msysGit
- Installs nano and makes it accessible from msysGit
- Installs SQLite and makes it accessible from msysGit
- Creates a
~/nano.rcwith links to syntax highlighting configs
- Provides standard nosetests behavior for msysGit
- Adds R's bin directory to the path (if we can find it)
Building the Windows installer requires a Windows machine with Python
(Python 2 as it is required by py2exe),
py2exe and Inno Setup.
py2exe can be installed using
Inno Setup can be installed using the self-installing package from
the download page.
python setup.py install python setup.py py2exe ISCC.exe swc-installer.iss
For folks who don't want to build their own version, the most recent version is also available here.
Just have your students download and double-click the compiled
installer. If you're using R, you'll have to install
R before running this installer (because this installer
searches likely paths to find R's
bin directory). Otherwise, you
can run it whenever you like (e.g. either before or after installing