Chrome extension - Now You (Don't) See Me
Sometimes I don't feel comfortable letting people see the content I am currently browsing when they passing by. Whenever you want to hide all of your tabs,this Chrome extension will help you to close all the tabs, save them into a temporary bookmark folder, and restore them later with one button.
Functionality & MVP
With this extension, users will be able to:
- Hide ( & bookmark) all the tabs with one click.
- Restore ( & remove the temporary bookmarks) all the tabs with one click.
- Use Hotkey to hide & restore.
- Open your preset homepage when hiding all the tabs.
- Use password to restore the tabs.
Technologies & Technical Challenges
package.json files, there will be two scripts:
background.js: will contain the logic hiding and restoring all the tabs.
options.js: will contain the logic for changing the user's settings
There will also be one HTML file to display the settings:
options.html: the file that renders the Settings menu for the user
The primary technical challenges will be:
- Accessing the tabs,
- Creating temporary bookmarks,
- Opening up homepage,
- Building modal ( or html page) for preset homepage.
Day 1: Get started on the infrastructure of the extension, following this guide from Chrome. By the end of the day, I will have:
- A completed
- A completed
- The ability to locate tabs.
Day 2: Work on deleting/creating tabs, and creating/deleting bookmarks. By the end of the day, I will have:
- The ability create and delete tabs and bookmarks.
Day 3: Create option page for user to setup password when restoring tabs, and setup custom page(s) when hiding tabs. By the end of the day:
- Have all the custom settings for options.html.
Day 4: Double check all the functionalities and publish it to web app store. By the end of the day:
- Fully implemented extension.
- Publish to Google web app store.
** Bonus features
- Add Filter list for user not to open up specific pages.
- Add password protection.