Tailscale Android Client
Private WireGuard® networks made easy
This repository contains the open source Tailscale Android client.
Go, the Android SDK, the Android NDK are required.
$ make tailscale-debug.apk $ adb install -r tailscale-debug.apk
dockershell target builds a container with the necessary
dependencies and runs a shell inside it.
$ make dockershell # make tailscale-debug.apk
If you have Nix 2.4 or later installed, a Nix development environment can be set up with
$ alias nix='nix --extra-experimental-features "nix-command flakes"' $ nix develop
make tag_release to bump the Android version code, update the version
name, and tag the current commit.
We only guarantee to support the latest Go release and any Go beta or release candidate builds (currently Go 1.14) in module mode. It might work in earlier Go versions or in GOPATH mode, but we're making no effort to keep those working.
Google Sign-In support relies on configuring a Google API Console
with the app identifier and signing key
The official release uses the app identifier
custom builds should use a different identifier.
Running in the Android emulator
By default, the android emulator uses an older version of OpenGL ES, which results in a black screen when opening the Tailscale app. To fix this, with the emulator running:
- Open the three-dots menu to access emulator settings
- To to
Settings > Advanced
- Set "OpenGL ES API level" to "Renderer maximum (up to OpenGL ES 3.1)"
- Close the emulator.
- In Android Studio's emulator view (that lists all your emulated devices), hit the down arrow by the virtual device and select "Cold boot now" to restart the emulator from scratch.
The Tailscale app should now render correctly.
Additionally, there seems to be a bug that prevents using the system-level Google sign-in option (the one that pops up a system-level UI to select your Google account). You can work around this by selecting "Other" at the sign-in screen, and then selecting Google from the next screen.
Developing on a Fire Stick TV
On the Fire Stick:
- Settings > My Fire TV > Developer Options > ADB Debugging > ON
Then some useful commands:
adb connect 10.2.200.213:5555 adb install -r tailscale-fdroid.apk adb shell am start -n com.tailscale.ipn/com.tailscale.ipn.IPNActivity adb shell pm uninstall com.tailscale.ipn
Building on macOS
To build from the CLI on macOS:
- Install Android Studio (when asked which SDKs to install, choose 31 or the current value of targetSdkVersion in
- In Android Studio's home screen: "More Actions" > "SDK Manager", install NDK.
- You can now close Android Studio, unless you want it to create virtual devices ("More Actions" > "Virtual Device Manager").
- Then, from CLI:
export JAVA_HOME='/Applications/Android Studio.app/Contents/jbr/Contents/Home'
export PATH=$ANDROID_SDK_ROOT/platform-tools:$PATH(to allow
adband the like to work)
make tailscale-fdroid.apk, etc
Please file any issues about this code or the hosted service on the tailscale issue tracker.
PRs welcome, but we are still working out our contribution process and tooling.
We require Developer Certificate of
Signed-off-by lines in commits.
We are apenwarr, bradfitz, crawshaw, danderson, dfcarney, from Tailscale Inc. You can learn more about us from our website.
WireGuard is a registered trademark of Jason A. Donenfeld.