Interested in hacking on crashmapper and/or the nypd crash data bandaid? These are some outstanding tasks:
e766e46Mobile block, to advise people against trying to load the map on their cell phones.
- A clearer disclaimer/link to licensing info.
0507c49Determine end date from loaded data instead of hardcoding it.
- Explanation in docs of how to read popup layout.
- Help in-popup to see what it means.
- Better icons for single intersections/incidents.
b6c787bInvestigate GH issue #1, and see whether the Excel input script is sometimes dropping certain stats from intersections.
d771a9eMemory profile and fix leaks, particularly in FF.
d6cb4c7Fix bug that could cause empty popups to display.
- Panning across the map after an overlay change doesn't always refresh data properly.
Significant new features
a5e4a19Allowing the selection of a date range, aggregating stats within.
398fd23Allow for a date range to be dragged in its entirety, rather than just one edge.
- Providing an interface to view the vehicle type and contributing factor overlays. The data's already loaded in.
3a11c1eDisplay a color-coded legend.
- Location box to quickly jump to a specific address.
- Allow custom aggregation based off of a drawn shape.
- Provide some useful pre-made shapes (council districts, CDs, boroughs, etc.)
- Allow automatic zoom-to-area.
4f40b81Provide interface to change "volume" of data.
- Allow for quick back-and-forth switches between different views (for example, to compare two different time spans.)
- Use NYC Geocoder instead of Google
- Allow search for specific intersection based off characteristics (at least X collisions with injuries, etc.)
- Tests (!)
35af1635Implement staging server and nonbreaking push of new features from it.
bc8dde4bChange crashmapper JS namespace from
- Possibly refactor crashmapper entirely out of the band-aid (dependencies are limited to the data transfer.)
- Investigate ways to break the data set into several requests while keeping it
- Perhaps load the lon/lat data as an array alongside a simple array of the currently displayed overlay? Two smaller requests instead of one, still provides immediate zoom/time scan response. A third request could be point-in-time for all data dimensions, for providing readout on popup.
- Mobile support.
- Other cities.
- Complementary data sets (traffic counts, NYS collision data.)