- The quiz engine will inspire and allow students to learn and stay afresh with their studies over the summer months. A sense of accomplishment and desire to learn encouraged me to take and complete this course. I would like to instill that same pursuit of knowledge into my younger relatives and see them grow to their potential.
- the purpose of the quiz engine was two fold:
- inspired by my younger cousins, I wanted to create an application to encourage them to learn
- produce a showcase react application which can be utilized as a portfolio piece in order to solicit job offers from a dev team which works on a similar product
- Prioritized User Stories:
- distribute quiz to users
- select quiz
- poll with questions
- questions with answers
- navigation throughout quiz’s questions
- storage of answers after each question
- breadcrumbs throughout quiz’s questions (counter)
- data visualization
- retake quiz
- Web Technologies Utilized:
- MongoDb, Mongoose, Robomongo
- Yarn/ NPM
- Enzyme, Chai, Mocha
- Heroku, Netlify
- Libraries: Lodash
- a full stack applicaiton requires the deployment of both a server to support the node.js/ server side development, as well as a server to host the client/ web view
- While CreateReactApp's black box of scripts does not easily support the support of synchronous servers for full stack development, a couple of options were pursued.
- my options/ attempted options included a Thinkful approach to React Starter Apps, the concurrently plugin and a json server
- The app utilizes two distinct projects, for the API and client.
- The app utilizes deployment through Heroku and Netlify, for the respective projects.
Modern Frontend Framework:
- Learning React and Redux was a challenge for me. While I knew I would greatly enjoy server-side development before and during the program, the data flow and component lifestyle took a great amount of understanding. While I resorted to many different documentation for learning, sticking to the FullStck React e-book gave me a respected and up-to-date perspective on React with ES6 and React Router 4.
- Redux with Async Actions can be difficult to learn. While Dan Abramov's information on the web was very helpful, Thinkful mentor Q&A and Workshops were incredibly helpful as well. The Thinkful community, including fellow students supported me in my learning. I look forward to completing FullStack React's 30 days of React following Thinkful graduation.
- utilizing a KanBan Board, the development was broken into phases
- working through the burn chart, I was able to break the project into bite size chunks
- working from the server side development through to the client-side, features were implemented based on priority
- The Quiz application still requires a significant amount of improvements in order to be more user friendly.
- If there is no user, present 'new user' in the header
- Better tracking of selected and submitted questions in order for a more comprehensive results page
- Account page to dispay results from all quizzes
- Visual effects to keep the users engaged
- Provide more encouragement to learn and grow:
- More quizzes to assist all cousins with subjects, advanced and younger.
- Learn more button to be specific to the quiz, directing the user to another page to learn more about the subject
- More links to learn more about coding, potentially instructing them to find the answers to the quizzes from the console
- feedback after each question submission
- I really enjoyed learning about the testing of the react and redux structure.
- I would like to improve the tests within my application and learn more about the structure and style of testing.