Simple Reddit Site
Heroku link: https://reddit-like-site.herokuapp.com/
npm run client-install to install client dependecies.
npm install to install server dependecies.
You will need to rename
sample.env file to just
.env and supply your own mongodb driver url to work with the database.
To start the server, run
npm run dev or
yarn run dev
Notes after deploying to Heroku
I deployed a branch of this code into Heroku. After deploying and setting up the env variables, the site was showing Not Found error. I realized that the
/build/ folder was being ignored in .gitignore. So after pushing it to the repo, it now works fine.
Notes after sharing on the dev community
People right out started spamming the site. People posted content with unreasonable amount of data beyond the limit. Someone started posting NiggerNiggerNigger.. and flodded my database. They did this because it can be done. So it's my turn to make it a bit more secure.
- Add option to display the text body under the posts
- Allow comments
- Allow only one upvote/downvote per user
- Add option to load more posts
Improvements from Next Projects
- Use git version control and branches to streamline development
- Write more documentation
- Seperate the API calls into different components, so the codebase will become more mangable.