Open Source Point of Sale is a web based point of sale system. The main features are:
- Stock management (Items and Kits)
- Sale register with transactions logging
- Receipt and invoice printing and/or emailing
- Barcode generation and printing
- Suppliers and Customers database
- Multiuser with permission control
- Reporting on sales, orders, inventory status
- Gift card
- Messaging (SMS)
- Different UI themes
The software is written in PHP language, it uses MySQL (or MariaDB) as data storage back-end and has a simple but intuitive user interface.
The latest version 3.1.0 is a complete overhaul of the original software. It is now based on Bootstrap 3.x using Bootswatch themes, and still uses CodeIgniter 3.x as framework. It also has improved functionality and security.
Deployed to a Cloud it can be defined as a SaaS (Software as a Service) solution.
Open Source Point of Sale is licensed under MIT terms with an important addition:
The footer signature "You are using Open Source Point Of Sale" with version, hash and link to the original distribution of the code MUST BE RETAINED, MUST BE VISIBLE IN EVERY PAGE and CANNOT BE MODIFIED.
Also worth noting:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
For more details please read the file LICENSE.
It's important to understand that althought you are free to use the software the copyright stays and the license agreement applies in all cases. Therefore any actions like:
- Removing LICENSE and any license files is prohibited
- Authoring the footer notice replacing it with your own or even worse claiming the copyright is absolutely prohibited
- Claiming full ownership of the code is prohibited
In short you are free to use the software but you cannot claim any property on it.
Any person or company found breaching the license agreement will be chased up.
Keep the Machine Running
If you like the project, and you are making money out of it on a daily basis, then consider buying me a coffee so I can keep adding features.
PHP version 5.5 or newer is recommended (PHP 7.x is supported). Please note that PHP needs to have
php-curl installed and enabled.
MySQL 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7 are supported, also MariaDB replacement is supported and apparently offering better performance.
Apache 2.2 and 2.4 are supported. Also Nginx has been proven to work fine, see wiki page here
Raspberry PI based installations proved to work, see wiki page here
For Windows based installations please read the wiki and also existing closed issues as this topic has been covered well in all the variants and issues.
- Create/locate a new mysql database to install open source point of sale into
- Execute the file database/database.sql to create the tables needed
- unzip and upload Open Source Point of Sale files to web server
- Copy application/config/database.php.tmpl to application/config/database.php
- Modify application/config/database.php to connect to your database
- Modify application/config/config.php encryption key with your own
- Go to your point of sale install public dir via the browser
- LOGIN using
- username: admin
- password: pointofsale
- Oops an issue? Please read the FAQ first thing :-)
Local install using Docker
From now on ospos can be deployed using Docker on Linux, Mac or Windows. This setup dramatically reduces the number of possible issues as all setup is now done in a Dockerfile. Docker runs natively on mac and linux, but will require more overhead on windows. Please refer to the docker documentation for instructions on how to set it up on your platform.
To build and run the image, issue following commands in a terminal with docker installed
docker-compose build docker-compose up
A quick option would be to install directly to Digitalocean using their preconfigured LAMP stack. Create a DO account first, add a droplet with preconfigured LAMP and follow the instructions for Local Install below. You will be running a provisioned VPS within minutes.
Cloud install using Docker
If you want to run a quick demo of ospos or run it permanently in the cloud, then we suggest using Docker cloud together with the DigitalOcean hosting platform. This way all the configuration is done automatically and the install will just work.
If you choose DigitalOcean through this link, you will get a $10 credit for a first month of uptime on the platform. A full setup will only take about 2 minutes by following steps below.
- Create a Digitalocean account
- Create a docker cloud account
- Login to docker cloud
- Associate your docker cloud account with your previously created digital ocean account under settings
- Create a new node on DigitalOcean through the
Infrastructure > Nodestab. Fill in a name (ospos) and choose a region near to you. We recommend to choose a node with minimum 1G RAM for the whole stack
- Othewise create a new stack under
Applications > Stacksand paste the contents of docker-cloud.yml from the source repository in the text field and hit
Create and deploy
- Find your website url under
Infrastructure > Nodes > <yournode> > Endpoints > web
- Login with default username/password admin/pointofsale
- DNS name for this server can be easily configured in the DigitalOcean control panel
More info on maintaining a docker install can be found on the wiki
If you are taking a release candidate code please make sure you always run the latest database upgrade script and you took the latest code from master. Please DO NOT post issues if you have not done those step.
Bug reports must follow this schema:
- Ospos version string with git commit hash (see ospos footer)
- OS name and version running your Web Server (e.g. Linux Ubuntu 15.0)
- Web Server name and version (e.g. Apache 2.4)
- Database name and version (e.g. MySQL 5.6)
- PHP version (e.g. PHP 5.5)
- Language selected in OSPOS (e.g. English, Spanish)
- Any configuration of OSPOS that you changed
- Exact steps to reproduce the issue (test case)
- Optionally some screenshots to illustrate each step
If above information is not provided in full, your issue will be tagged as pending. If missing information is not provided within a week we will close your issue.
If a blank page (HTTP status 500) shows after search completion or receipt generation, then double check
php5-gdpresence in your php installation. On windows check in php.ini whether the lib is installed. On Ubuntu issue
sudo apt-get install php5-gd. Also have a look at the Dockerfile for a complete list of recommended packages.
If sales and receiving views don't show properly, please make sure BCMath lib (
php-bcmath) is installed. On windows check php.ini and make sure php_bcmath extension is not commented out
If the following error is seen in sales module
Message: Class 'NumberFormatter' not foundthen you don't have
php5-intlextension installed. Please check the wiki to resolve this issue on your platform. If you use WAMP, please read issue #949
If you read errors containing messages with Socket word in it, please make sure you have installed PHP Sockets support (e.g. go to PHP.ini and make sure all the needed modules are not commented out. This means
php-sockets. Restart the web server)
If you installed your OSPOS under a web server subdir, please edit public/.htaccess and go to the lines with comment
if in web rootand
if in subdir comment above line, uncomment below one and replace <OSPOS path> with your pathand follow the instruction on the second comment line. If you face more issues please read issue #920 for more help
If the avatar pictures are not shown in Items or at Item save time you get an error, please make sure your public and subdirs are assigned to the correct owner and the access permission is set to 755
If you have problems with the encryption support or you get an error please make sure