PhotoDemon is a portable photo editor focused on performance and usability.
It provides a comprehensive photo editor in a 12 MB download. It runs on any Windows machine (XP through Win 10) and it does not require installation. Feel free to run it from a USB stick or portable drive.
PhotoDemon is completely open-source and available under a permissive BSD license. Contributors have translated the program into more than twenty languages.
New contributions from coders, designers, translators, and enthusiasts are always welcome.
- For information on the latest stable release, visit https://photodemon.org
- To download the program's source code, visit https://github.com/tannerhelland/PhotoDemon
- To download a nightly build of the latest source code, visit https://photodemon.org/download/
What makes PhotoDemon unique?
Lightweight and completely portable
No installer is provided or required. Aside from a temporary folder – which you can specify from the Tools > Options menu – it leaves no trace on your hard drive. Many users run PhotoDemon from a USB stick or portable drive.
Integrated macro recording and batch processing
Complex editing actions can be recorded as macros (similar to Office software). A built-in batch processor lets you apply your macros to entire folders of images.
Usability is paramount
Many open-source photo editors are usability nightmares. PhotoDemon tries not to be. Small touches like save/load presets on all tools, unlimited Undo/Redo, "Fade last action", keyboard accelerators, effect previews, mouse wheel and X-button support, and descriptive menu icons make it fast and easy to use.
Pro-grade features and tools
- Extensive file format support, including all major RAW formats
- Color-managed workflow, including full support for embedded ICC profiles
- Non-destructive editing for select features, including resizing, rotation, and common adjustments
- 2D transformations: advanced rescale operators (Sinc, Catmull-Rom, etc), content-aware scaling (seam carving), crop, straighten, shear, zoom
- Adjustment tools: levels, curves, HDR, white balance, split-toning, green screen, Wratten filters, and many more
- Filters and effects: perspective correction, edge detection, noise removal, content-aware blur, unsharp masking, lens diffraction, vignetting, and many more
- Some ~200 tools are provided in the current build.
- PhotoDemon isn't designed for OSes other than Microsoft Windows. A compatibility layer like Wine (http://www.winehq.org/) may allow it to work on OSX, Linux, or BSD systems, but program stability and performance may suffer.
PhotoDemon is maintained by a single individual with a family to support. If you would like to make a small donation to support ongoing development, please visit:
A full list of (wonderful!) contributors is available in AUTHORS.md.
How is PhotoDemon and its source code licensed?
PhotoDemon is BSD-licensed. This allows you to use its source code in any application, commercial or otherwise, if you supply proper attribution. Proper attribution includes a notice of copyright and disclaimer of warranty.
PhotoDemon uses some 3rd-party libraries. These libraries are found in the /App/PhotoDemon/Plugins folder. These libraries have their own licenses, separate from PhotoDemon.
Full licensing details are available in LICENSE.md.