|Stable (9.0)||Nightly (9.2-a)||Source code|
|Download ZIP (14 MB)||Download ZIP (14 MB)||Download ZIP (17 MB)|
PhotoDemon is a portable photo editor. It is 100% free and 100% open-source.
PhotoDemon provides a comprehensive photo editor in a 14 MB download. It runs on any Windows PC (XP through Win 11) and it does not require installation. You can run it from a USB stick, SD card, or portable drive.
PhotoDemon is open-source and available under a permissive BSD license. Contributors have translated the program into more than a dozen languages.
New contributions from translators, coders, designers, and enthusiasts are always welcome.
- For information on the latest stable release, visit https://photodemon.org
- To download a nightly build (built from the latest source code), visit https://photodemon.org/download/
- To download PhotoDemon's source code, visit https://github.com/tannerhelland/PhotoDemon
What makes PhotoDemon unique?
Lightweight and completely portable
No installer is provided or required. Aside from a temporary folder – which you can specify in the
Tools > Options menu – PhotoDemon leaves no trace on your hard drive. Many users run PhotoDemon from a USB stick or microSD card.
Integrated macro recording and batch processing
Complex editing actions can be recorded as macros (similar to Office software). A built-in batch processor lets you apply macros to entire folders of images.
Usability is paramount
Many open-source photo editors are usability nightmares. PhotoDemon tries not to be. Small touches like real-time effect previews, save/load presets on all tools, unlimited Undo/Redo, "Fade last action", keyboard accelerators, mouse wheel and X-button support, and descriptive icons make it fast and easy to use.
Pro-grade features and tools
- Extensive file format support, including Adobe Photoshop (PSD), Corel PaintShop Pro (PSP), GIMP (XCF), and all major camera RAW formats
- Advanced multi-layer support, including editable text layers and non-destructive layer modifications
- Color-managed workflow, including full support for embedded ICC profiles
- On-canvas tools: digital paintbrushes, clone and pattern brushes, advanced selection tools, interactive gradients, and more
- Adjustment tools: levels, curves, HDR, shadow/highlight recovery, white balance, and many more
- Filters and effects: perspective correction, edge enhancement, noise removal, content-aware fill and resize, unsharp masking, gradient and palette mapping, and many more
- More than 200 tools are provided in the current build.
- PhotoDemon isn't designed for operating systems other than Microsoft Windows. A compatibility layer like Wine may allow it to work on macOS, Linux, or BSD systems, but these configurations are not officially supported.
- Due to its portable nature, PhotoDemon is only available as a 32-bit application. (This means it cannot load or save images larger than ~2 GB in size.)
What's new in nightly builds
- Comprehensive import and export support for JPEG XL images, including full support for all color models in both lossy and lossless modes.
- Import support for satellite topography (HGT) images
- Icon (ICO) export now provides much higher-quality downsampling and a new
use merged imageoption allows you to automatically generate icon frames from a merged multi-layer image.
- Windows metafiles (EMF, WMF) now provide an import dialog where you can choose custom rasterization dimensions.
Image and Layer tools
- The Advanced Text Tool supports new features, including justified text alignment, custom fill + stroke order, and new antialiasing settings.
[Effects > Transform > Perspective]tool now supports custom forshortening values in both x- and y-directions.
- Improved Windows XP support, including better coverage of 3rd-party libraries that have XP-specific limitations.
- Batch conversion of SVG images to raster formats is now supported.
- Batch conversion of Windows metafiles (EMF, WMF) is now supported.
- A new "import size override" allows you to specify custom dimensions for vector images (SVG, EMF, WMF) involved in a batch process
For a full list of changes, visit the project's commit log.
Ongoing PhotoDemon development is made possible by donations from users.
I am also extremely grateful for one-time donations. A secure donation page is available at photodemon.org/donate. Thank you!
PhotoDemon is BSD-licensed. This allows you to use its source code in any application, commercial or otherwise, if you supply proper attribution. Proper attribution includes a notice of copyright and disclaimer of warranty.
PhotoDemon uses some 3rd-party open-source libraries. These libraries are found in the /App/PhotoDemon/Plugins folder. These libraries have their own licenses, separate from PhotoDemon.
Full licensing details are available in LICENSE.md.