Use a 20-button keypad to write a scrolling message on the Boldport Matrix.
Here's a quick video showing it in action..
So... ways to get arbitrary messages onto the Boldport Matrix?
I happen to have a KeyboardMatrixModule that is coincidentally 5 keys high by 4 wide .. a number that neatly fits into the 24x5 display port of the Matrix.
So I've wired it up and enabled a couple of commands in the KeypadControl.ino sketch:
- pressing any single button toggles the state of the corresponding LED
- at first, it is operating on the left-most 4 columns of LEDs
- pressing S3+S4 together shift the working window 4 LEDs right
- pressing S1+S2 together shift the working window 4 LEDs left
- pressing S2+S3 together toggle the message scrolling..
Interesting ... but not very practical! Maybe good for a gadget that you can let random bystanders fiddle with your matrix display..
I had a problem getting the scrolling to stop started, but a little help from the BoldportClub Community on Slack goes a long way! Problem sorted: it seems you must let the movie finish by switching it out of infinite loop first e.g.:
A recent update to the LuckyResistor/LRAS1130 library (v0.9.5) fixed some issues with LED brightness control. Now everything is looking so much brighter!