Langohr is a Clojure wrapper around the RabbitMQ Java client that embraces AMQP 0.9.1 Model and does not try to hide it behind many layers of DSLs. It is experimental only in the sense that API is not completely locked down at this point: otherwise, it is solid and is used very actively to develop commercial products that involve thousands of nodes communicating over AMQP.
- Embrace AMQP 0.9.1 Model. Follow Java client's API conventions instead of inventing new overly opinionated ones
- Provide additional functions/protocols where it actually saves time (we learned a lot from 3 years history of the Ruby amqp gem development)
- Be well documented. Two example READMEs do not cut it
- Strict TDD development style (with tests sometimes being freeform examples first)
- Support all of the RabbitMQ extensions to AMQP 0.9.1
- Provide support for testing of AMQP applications, including asynchronous workflows
- Provide additional batteries such as CLI interface to AMQP operations
Here is what Langohr does not try to be:
- A replacement for the RabbitMQ Java client
- Sugar-coated API for task queues that hides all the AMQP machinery from the developer
- A port of Ruby amqp gem to Clojure
Documentation & Examples
We are working on documentation guides & examples site for the 1.0 release. In the meantime, please refer to the test suite for code examples.
Langohr has a mailing list. Feel free to join it and ask any questions you may have.
To subscribe for announcements of releases, important changes and so on, please follow @ClojureWerkz on Twitter.
This is a Work In Progress
While the API is largely stabilized at this point, Langohr is a work in progress. Documentation and tutorials site is still not published, not every idea we have is implemented. Keep that in mind.
<dependency> <groupId>com.novemberain</groupId> <artifactId>langohr</artifactId> <version>1.0.0-beta1</version> </dependency>
If you feel comfortable using snapshots:
<dependency> <groupId>com.novemberain</groupId> <artifactId>langohr</artifactId> <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version> </dependency>
Snapshot artifacts are released to Clojars every day.
Supported Clojure versions
Langohr is built from the ground up for Clojure 1.3 and up.
Supported RabbitMQ versions
Langohr depends on RabbitMQ Java client 2.8.x and thus should work with RabbitMQ versions 2.0 and later.
The Road to 1.0
Langohr is slowly approaching 1.0 release. A few remaining items before the release are
- Documentation guides.
- Test suite cleanup.
- Some stress tests to set baseline performance expectations.
We expect 1.0 to be released in 2012 (but not before documentation site is ready).
CI is hosted by travis-ci.org
Langohr uses Leiningen 2. Make sure you have it installed and then run tests against all supported Clojure versions using
lein2 all test
Then create a branch and make your changes on it. Once you are done with your changes and all tests pass, submit a pull request on Github.
Copyright (C) 2011-2012 Michael S. Klishin
Distributed under the Eclipse Public License, the same as Clojure.