Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
You can import and export SpecLog requirements to and from Excel.
Note: It is currently only possible to import Excel files into stand-alone repositories. Once you have imported the file, you can then publish the stand-alone repository as a shared repository. Attachments and in acceptance criteria and linked Gherkin files cannot be exported.
Exporting to Excel
To export a repository to an Excel file:
- Select Export to Excel from the menu.
The Export to Excel dialogue is displayed.
- Determine which requirements to export:
- All requirements: Exports all requirements in the repository
- Active view: Exports all requirements on the currently active workspace or search list
- Search result: Exports all requirements that are currently displayed in the Requirements widget
- Enable Include acceptance criteria if you also want to export the acceptance criteria defined for the requirements.
- Select Export workspace coordinates to include the requirement cards' coordinates in the export; this is useful if you want to import the file into another repository while retaining the position of the cards within the workspaces. If you simply want to work with the list of requirements in Excel, you don't need to include the coordinates in the export.
- Click on Export to export the Excel file.
The Excel sheet contains the requirements' ID and type, the values in the 4 card fields (Title, Actor, Goal, Value), estimates, tags, information on where the card is located (workspace and coordinates if you chose to export the coordinates), acceptance criteria (AC) and a reference to parent requirements.
Importing from Excel
Requirements exported to an Excel file can be imported into an existing repository. Note that if you have customized the card templates, the repository you import the requirements into needs to use the same requirement types as those in the Excel file (otherwise they will be imported as the default requirement type, i.e, the first card type defined in the card templates).
If the source file contains coordinates in the Workspaces column, requirements are placed in the corresponding position on the workspace after importing.
To import an Excel file:
- Add a new stand-alone repository or open the stand-alone repository you want to import the Excel file into.
Note: Excel files can currently only be imported into stand-alone repositories.
- Select Import from Excel into repository from the menu.
- Click on the browse button and select the Excel file to import.
- Click on Import. The Excel file is imported.
The following rules are applied when importing an Excel file:
- Requirements require at least a
IDto be imported. All other values are optional.
- Requirements without an ID or with a duplicate ID are assigned a new ID automatically. You cannot overwrite/update existing requirements by importing.
- If an imported requirement's type does not match one of the types in the target repository (defined in the card templates), the requirement is added as the default requirement type (the first card type defined in the card templates).
- Requirements are always imported into a new workspace. If you import an Excel file containing requirements on a workspace with the same name as an existing workspace in your repository, a new workspace is added with the same name and the suffix "(1)", and the requirements are imported into the new workspace. You can move requirements to existing workspaces after importing to merge the workspaces.
- Columns in the Excel sheet are mapped to fields in SpecLog based on the name of the column (as when exporting requirements).