Ethnography and Fieldwork
- Katz, Cindi. "Playing the field: questions of fieldwork in geography." The Professional Geographer 46.1 (1994): 67-72.
Acoustic Ecology and Listening
- Michael, David. "Toward a dark nature recording." Organised Sound 16.03 (2011): 206-210.
- Dunn, David. "Purposeful listening in complex states of time." Site of Sound: Of Architecture & the Ear (1999): 77-87.
- Wrightson, Kendall. "An introduction to acoustic ecology." Soundscape: The journal of acoustic ecology 1.1 (2000): 10-13.
General Infrastructure and technology readings
- Keller Easterling. Playing Spaces, Interview.
- Smith, Monica L. "Urban infrastructure as materialized consensus." World Archaeology 48.1 (2016): 164-178.
- Ihde, D (1993) “Technology” (p.47-64) in Philosophy of Technology, Paragon House, New York.
- Hughes, Thomas Parke. Networks of power: electrification in Western society, 1880-1930. JHU Press, 1993. Introduction.
- Shove, Elizabeth, and Gordon Walker. "What is energy for? Social practice and energy demand." Theory, Culture & Society 31.5 (2014): 41-58.
- Here's the thing with Alec Baldwin - podcast. Nuclear Safety Isn't Just About Who Has the Codes
- Waste Lands: America's forgotten nuclear legacy, WSJ.com.
- Shove, Elizabeth. "Sustainability, system innovation and the laundry." System innovation and the transition to sustainability: theory, evidence and policy (2004): 76-94.
- Benidickson, Jamie. The culture of flushing: A social and legal history of sewage. UBC Press, 2011. Introduction (or more).
- History of water Supply in New York. and also Combined Sewer Overflows NYC
- Karvonen, Andrew. Politics of urban runoff: nature, technology, and the sustainable city. MIT Press, 2011.
- Radiolab, Poop train.
- And here's Zizek talking about toilets again.
- Shannon Mattern, 2016, Cloud and Field.
- On internet infrastructures - pretty much all these articles by Ingrid Burrington
- Lacohée, Hazel, Nina Wakeford, and Ian Pearson. "A social history of the mobile telephone with a view of its future." BT Technology Journal 21.3 (2003): 203-211.
- Fischer, Claude S. America calling: A social history of the telephone to 1940. Univ of California Press, 1994.
- Chappells, Heather, and Elizabeth Shove. "The dustbin: a study of domestic waste, household practices and utility services." International Planning Studies 4.2 (1999): 267-280.
- Riley, Mark. "From salvage to recycling–new agendas or same old rubbish?." Area 40.1 (2008): 79-89.
- Podcast, Radiolab. Ancient garbage.
Part 2: Eccentric Interfaces
Concept of Nature
Jeremy Butman, 2016, Against Sustainabiliy.