Tekton Pipelines is an open source implementation to configure and run CI/CD style pipelines for your Kubernetes application.
Pipeline creates Custom Resources as building blocks to declare pipelines.
A custom resource is an extension of Kubernetes API which can create a custom Kubernetes Object. Once a custom resource is installed, users can create and access its objects with kubectl, just as they do for built-in resources like pods, deployments etc. These resources run on-cluster and are implemented by Kubernetes Custom Resource Definition (CRD).
High level details of this design:
- Pipelines do not know what will trigger them, they can be triggered by events or by manually creating PipelineRuns
- Tasks can exist and be invoked completely independently of Pipelines; they are highly cohesive and loosely coupled
- Tasks can depend on artifacts and parameters created by other tasks.
- Tasks can be invoked via TaskRuns
- PipelineResources are the artifacts used as inputs and outputs of Tasks.
- How do I create a new Pipeline?
- How do I make a Task?
- How do I make Resources?
- How do I control auth?
- How do I run a Pipeline?
- How do I run a Task on its own?
- How do I get logs?
See the following reference topics for information about each of the build components:
Additional reference topics not related to a specific component:
Try it out
If you are interested in contributing to the Tekton Pipeline project, see the Tekton Pipeline contribution guide.