Be notified of new releases
Create your free GitHub account today to subscribe to this repository for new releases and build software alongside 40 million developers.Sign up
Release date: 2020-01-22
Skogul 0.5.0 is a small release, but should make life much easier for
- InfluxDB sender now detects invalid metrics instead of sending "garbage"
to InfluxDB that fails - it will send what it can.
- InfluxDB sender has much better logging
- Split transformer now correctly transforms remainder of metrics in a
container after encountering one it can't handle.
- RPM packages and systemd unit files now agree upon default config file
Release date: 2020-01-06
Skogul 0.4.1 brings support for exposing MQTT topics in the metadata. Yup, that's it.
Release date: 2019-12-04
Skogul 0.4.0 brings MQTT configuration up to speed with other receivers and senders.
A new transformer to set the timestamp is introduced, as well as a custom JSON parser
for use where the incoming JSON format does not conform to the one of Skogul.
Furthermore, new versions now ship with prebuilt RPMs as well as prebuilt archives.
We also run automated tests on all example configuration in ./docs/examples!
- JSON syntax errors offsets correctly with tabs
- Support building RPMs and build RPMs for new releases
- Bring MQTT configuration up to speed (configuration updates required!)
- MQTT wildcard support (+ and #)
- A custom JSON parser, for use when the JSON is not already on Skogul format
- Timestamp transformer, used to set the timestamp of a metric from data
Skogul 0.3.0 contains several changes aimed at project management, some to improve core functionality, and some module improvements. It's not a huge change since 0.2.0, and that's how we like it. As per usual, we aim for high quality releases.
- Use of CI and automated building of release tar-balls
- Cleanup and refresh of documentation
- There's now a single unified way of handling modules that dramatically reduces code duplication in core.
- Modules can now provide documentation for nested data structures, which is correctly exposed in manual pages.
- A conditional transformer (#71) was added that provides a mechanism to only execute a transformer if certain conditions are present.
- The "extract" feature of the metadata transformer no longer creates empty metadata keys, and will remove the original to avoid duplicating information.
- The logrus receiver replaces the log-receiver, allowing better control of log data. More work in this area is to be expected.
- The HTTP receiver can now apply different authorization rules for different paths.
The latter constitutes a bit of a change in configuration.
v0.2.0 consists of a number of minor polish-fixes oriented around logging, aimed at improving quality of life of a production installation of Skogul. Additionally, the "replace" transformer has been included, which allows modifications of metadata using regular expression substitution.
While v0.1.0 was able to receive and parse handle Junos Telemetry Data, the addition of the "replace" transformer marks this as the first release where we don't have any known missing features. Prior to this, system names would be stored as "foobar-re0:ip.address.of.host", which meant duplicates when the router switched between active routing engines.
We're not marking this as a "pre-release". It's still a v0.x-release, which indicates that you should anticipate significant changes in the future, but we believe the code quality is suited for production use given the features provided. As we will be using this in production, future releases will always aim to maintain high quality.
Future focus will be richer authentication to support enterprise setups where there are multiple data sources operating in different security domains. This will most likely mean changes to the HTTP receiver at the very least.
Preparing for v0.2.0, this release mainly bundles new features in the transformer-space. It is provided to simplify testing.
- Telemetry for Junos 19-ish (versus 17), with some minor deviations due to buggy proto-files
- Add regex/replacement transformer for modify metadata values
- Improve logging
- Fix syntax hilighting bug #54
- Other minor bug fixes
This is the first alpha-release of Skogul and is suitable for testing by external users, and should satisfy many use-cases. It offers:
- Simple JSON-based configuration, including underlining of syntax errors and several examples
- Extensive documentation for every configurable aspect of Skogul
- Module-based senders, receivers and parsers
- Support for writing to PostgreSQL, MySQL (or MariaDB), InfluxDB, MQTT or other Skogul instances
- Support for parsing Skogul JSON and Juniper Streaming Telemetry (which is google protobuf)
- Support for receiving data over HTTP, HTTPS, UDP messages, files, FIFO, and more
- Extensive tests: unit tests, unit benchmarks and tools for doing full end-to-end performance tests
Future work will focus on filling in the gaps of transformers, streamlining logging and generally adding more bits and pieces to ensure a more streamlined end-user and module-developer experience.
No large changes to the core architecture is planned as of this moment.
Skogul v0.0.1 was tagged to allow initial testing of how to use releases internally. It doesn't represent any particular milestone code-wise.