List native packages required by ruby gems on your machine.
What it does:
- maintains a multi-platform catalog of native packages for ruby gems.
- detects platform, platform version using Chef Ohai.
- detects package manager.
- returns a list of native packages based on the gems specified by you or a gemfile.
gem install natives
natives list capybara-webkit sqlite3
Have a gemfile?
natives list # looks for Gemfile in current directory natives list --gemfile Gemfile.special natives list --gemfile /path/to/Gemfile.special
How to install native packages?
natives list can be used together with your package manager e.g.
apt-get. If you need a package manager wrapper, try pacapt.
brew install $(natives list capybara-webkit sqlite3) apt-get install $(natives list capybara-webkit sqlite3) pacapt -S $(natives list capybara-webkit sqlite3)
It uses 'rubygems' catalog by default. To use a different catalog:
natives list --catalog npm sqlite3
Custom (project-specific) catalog
It also looks for
natives-catalogs/ in current directory. If exists, it loads all catalog files in the directory.
$ cd rails_app1 $ cat natives-catalogs/catalog1.yaml rubygems: my_gem: homebrew: mac_os_x: - package1 apt: default: - package2 $ natives list my_gem # runs on mac os x package1
- rubygems <-- calling for contributions! :-)
- new catalog contributions e.g. for "npm" are welcomed too! Just submit your PR.
Catalog load paths
It loads YAML files (.yaml, .yml) from the following paths in this order:
catalogs/in this gem.
natives-catalogs/in current working directory, if any.
When there are multiple YAML files in a path, they are sorted by filename and loaded in that order.
Catalog YAML format
A catalog file is written in YAML, based on this format:
catalog_name: entry_name: package_provider: platform: platform_version: - package_name
rubygems: capybara-webkit: homebrew: mac_os_x: 10.7.5: - libqtwebkit-dev
default when apply to all platforms
rubygems: curb: apt: default: - libcurl4-openssl-dev
default when apply to all platform versions
rubygems: capybara-webkit: homebrew: mac_os_x: default: - libqtwebkit-dev
Use array to group platform versions
rubygems: capybara-webkit: apt: ubuntu: [10.04, 10.04.1, 10.04.2, 10.04.3, 10.04.4]: - libqt4-dev default: - libqtwebkit-dev
Supported values for platforms and package providers
Not in the list? No worry, submit a PR to patch
aix yum packman apt feebsd portage homebrew macports solaris ips zypper smartos
aix amazon arch centos debian fedora freebsd gcel gentoo linaro linuxmint mac_os_x mac_os_x_server nexentacore omnios openindiana opensolaris opensuse oracle raspbian redhat scientific smartos solaris2 suse ubuntu xcp xenserver
- gem-nice-install - uses rubygems plugin API to auto-install natives dependencies, now supports fedora only.
Contributing to natives
- Check out the latest master to make sure the feature hasn't been implemented or the bug hasn't been fixed yet.
- Check out the issue tracker to make sure someone already hasn't requested it and/or contributed it.
- Fork the project.
- Start a feature/bugfix branch.
- Commit and push until you are happy with your contribution.
- Make sure to add tests for it. This is important so I don't break it in a future version unintentionally.
- Please try not to mess with the Rakefile, version, or history. If you want to have your own version, or is otherwise necessary, that is fine, but please isolate to its own commit so I can cherry-pick around it.
Copyright (c) 2013 Huiming Teo. See LICENSE.txt for further details.