Carefully curated list of awesome creative coding resources primarily for beginners/intermediates.
Creative coding is a different discipline than programming systems. The goal is to create something expressive instead of something functional. Interaction design, information visualization and generative art are all different types of creative coding – which has become a household term describing artworks articulated as code.
Please read the contribution guidelines before contributing.
- Online Books
- Learning Resources
- Machine learning • Computer Vision • Ai
- Schools • Workshops
- Blogs • Websites
- Generative Art: A Practical Guide - Practical guide using Processing.
- Generative Design - Visualize, Program, and Create with Processing.
- The Nature of Code - Simulating natural systems with Processing.
- Programming Design Systems - Practical introduction to the new foundations of graphic design.
- Learning Modern 3D Graphics Programming - Series of tutorials on using OpenGL to do graphical rendering.
- Programming Interactivity - Designer's Guide to Processing, Arduino, and openFrameworks.
- openFrameworks Essentials - openFrameworks beginner Guide for programmer, visual artist, or designer.
- Mastering openFrameworks: Creative Coding Demystified - Advanced in depth guide to openFrameworks.
- Algorithms for Visual Design Using the Processing Language - Experiment with design problems to create 3D animations, GUIs, and more.
- Ray Tracing in One Weekend - Mini book about Ray Tracing.
- Processing 2: Creative Programming Cookbook - Guides you to explore the Processing environment using practical and useful recipes.
- Data-driven Graphic Design - Creative Coding for Visual Communication.
- Real-Time Rendering - Learn how to use modern techniques to generate synthetic three-dimensional images in a fraction of a second.
- Graphics Shaders: Theory and Practice - Introduction to shader programming in general, but focusing on the GLSL shading language.
- Anton's OpenGL 4 Tutorials - Practical guide to starting 3d programming with OpenGL.
- The Book of Shaders - Step-by-step guide through the abstract and complex universe of fragment shaders.
- WebGL Fundamentals - WebGL from the ground up. No magic.
- WebGL 2 Fundamentals - WebGL2 from the ground up. No magic.
- Learn OpenGL - Extensive tutorial resource for learning Modern OpenGL.
- Scratchapixel 2.0 - Learn Computer Graphics From Scratch.
- ofBook - Community-written book/guide on openFrameworks.
- OGLdev - Collection of modern OpenGL tutorials by Etay Meiri.
- OpenGL Tutorial - Site dedicated to tutorials for OpenGL 3.3 and later.
- Open.gl - Guide that teach you the basics of using OpenGL.
- Pixel Shaders - Interactive Introduction to Graphics Programming.
- OpenGLBook - Free OpenGL programming tutorial in online book format.
- Graphics Programming Projects - Book about 3D computational graphics by Morgan McGuire.
- On Generative Algorithms - Notes about generating various organic patterns, with examples and Python code, by Anders Hoff.
- Create 3D Graphics in JS Using WebGL - Get started creating content with WebGL without any frameworks.
- Learn HTML5 Graphics and Animation - Introduction to the canvas 2D drawing API.
- Interactive 3D Graphics - Udacity course that teach you the principles of 3D computer graphics.
- Interactive Computer Graphics - Computer graphics course from Coursera.
- Kadenze Creative Coding - Selection of Kadenze courses covering p5.js, TensorFlow, Max/Jitter, and ChucK.
- Think. Create. Code - EDX course to learn programming with ProcessingJS.
- Creative Coding - FutureLearn course on programming with Processing.
- Creative Programming for Digital Media & Mobile Apps - Coursera course on creative coding with processing.
- Imaginary Institute - Learn how to create gorgeous interactive graphics.
- Future Learn: Creative Coding - Use computer programming as a creative discipline to generate sounds, images, animations and more.
- Advanced JS: Natural Simulations - Combine JS, ProcessingJS, and mathematical concepts to simulate nature in your programs
- Interactive Data Visualization with Processing - Learn how to read, map, and illustrate data with Processing.
- Programming Data Visualizations: A Coding Toolkit for Processing - Join information designer Nicholas Felton in the world of Processing.
- Introduction to Data Visualization - Join Nicholas Felton for a smart, comprehensive, and inspiring intro to data visualization.
- Programming Graphics I, 2, 3 - Learn generative art and Processing with art with Joshua Davis.
Frameworks • Libraries • Ecosystems
- Processing [Cross-platform] - Computer programming language and IDE for visual arts.
- Cinder [Cross-platform] - Open source library for professional-quality creative coding in C++.
- openFrameworks [Cross-platform] - Open source C++ toolkit for creative coding.
- C4 [iOS] - Open-source creative coding framework for iOS.
- Unity [Mac, Win] - Game engine, but useful for creative coding and installations.
- PlayCanvas [Cross-platform] - Open source, realtime collaborative WebGL engine.
- hg_sdf [Cross-platform] - GLSL library for building signed distance functions.
Visual Programming Languages
- vvvv [Mac, Win] - Hybrid visual/textual live-programming environment for easy prototyping and development.
- NodeBox [Mac, Win] - Cross-platform, node-based GUI for efficient data visualizations and generative design.
- TouchDesigner [Mac, Win] - Visual development platform to create realtime projects.
- Quartz Composer [Mac] - Development tool for processing and rendering graphical data.
- Vuo [Mac] - Live interactive-media programming environment.
- Max [Mac, Win] - Visual programming language for media.
- Pure Data [Cross-platform] - Open source visual programming language for multimedia.
- i-score [Cross-platform] - Interactive sequencer to control creative coding libraries and toolkits.
- tooll [Win] - Open source tool for creating interactive 3d content and animations.
- XOD [Cross-platform] - Open source visual programming language and environment for microcontroller-based projects.
Sound Programming Languages
- SuperCollider [Multi-platform] - Platform for audio synthesis and algorithmic composition.
- ChucK - Strongly-timed, concurrent, and on-the-fly music programming language.
- TidalCycles - Domain specific language for live coding of pattern.
- Sonic Pi - The live coding music synth for everyone.
Web Programming • Libraries
- regl - Functional WebGL.
- Stackgl - Open software ecosystem for WebGL, built on top of browserify and npm.
- Paper.js - The swiss army knife of vector graphics scripting.
- Pixi.js - HTML 5 2D rendering engine that uses webGL with canvas fallback.
- Maker.js - Parametric line drawing for SVG, CNC & laser cutters.
- Two.js - Two-dimensional drawing api geared towards modern web browsers.
- ClayGL - WebGL graphic library for building scalable Web3D applications.
Projection Mapping • VJing
- MadMapper [Mac] - Video mapping projections and Light mapping.
- VDMX [Mac] - Realtime multimedia performance application.
- Modul8 [Mac] - Real time video mixing and compositing.
- Resolume [Mac, Win] - Mixing of digital video and effects in a realtime.
- CoGe VJ [Mac] - VJ software designed for realtime HD video mixing and compositing with a modular user interface.
- VirtualMapper - Realtime preview tool for projection mapping.
- Shadertoy - Build and share shaders with the world and get inspired.
- GLSLbin - Fragment shader sandbox with support for glslify.
- GLSL Sandbox - Online shader editor and gallery.
- Shdr Editor - Online shader editor.
- CodePen - Show case of advanced techniques with editable source code.
- Shadershop - Interface for programming GPU shaders.
- Vertexshaderart - Online shader editor and gallery.
- Cyos - Online shader editor.
- GlslEditor - Simple WebGL Fragment Shader Editor.
- OpenProcessing - Create and experiment with algorithmic design, Processing and P5.js.
- Arduino - Open source microcontroller kits for building digital devices and interactive objects.
- Raspberry Pi - Small single-board computers.
- BeagleBoard - Low-power open source single-board computers.
- Makey Makey - Turn everyday objects into touchpads and combine them with the internet.
- Leap Motion - Sensor device that supports hand and finger motions as input.
- AxiDraw - Simple, modern, and precise pen plotter.
- Structure Synth [Cross-platform] - Application for generating 3D structures by specifying a design grammar.
- F3 [Mac] - Powerful 3D design app that enables you to live code 3D form.
- Fragment [Mac]- App to live code GLSL graphics.
- ShaderTool [Win] - Modern shader IDE for programmers and FX artists.
- Syphon [Mac] - Allows applications to share frames with one another in realtime.
- KodeLife - Real-time GPU shader editor, live-code performance tool and graphics prototyping sketchpad.
- ISF - GLSL shaders for use in interactive applications.
- glslViewer - Live-coding console tool that renders GLSL Shaders.
- DrawBot [Mac] - Education oriented 2d graphics programming environment based on python.
- Klak - A collection of scripts for creative coding with Unity.
- The Coding Train - Daniel Shiffman makes videos about creative coding.
- MFGD - Fragment Shaders - YouTube playlist about fragment shaders.
- Shaders Laboratory - YouTube channel about shaders.
- Makin' Stuff Look Good - YouTube channel about shaders case studies.
- openFrameworks tutorials - YouTube playlist about openFrameworks.
- Fun with WebGL 2.0 - YouTube playlist about WebGL 2.0.
- Modern OpenGL 3.0+ Tutorials - YouTube playlist about modern OpenGL.
- Vertexshaderart - YouTube playlist about vertex shaders.
- Diving in Three.js - YouTube playlist diving into three.js.
- Shadertoy Tutorials - YouTube playlist teaching you how to make shaders, starting with zero knowledge using shadertoy.
- WebGL Lightning - Introduction to WebGL lightning with Greg Tatum.
- Intro to WebGL Slides Video - Intro to WebGL with three.js.
- Inigo Quilez Live - Collection of live coding videos by Íñigo Quílez.
- There is also canvas - Bruno Imbrizi go through the use of canvas for creative coding at WebExpo 2016. Interactive slides here.
- Draw. Move. Fail. Repeat. - Slides by @williamapan from his Creative developer workshop at Gobelins.
- OpenGL 3D Game Tutorials - Beginners tutorial series about creating 3D games OpenG.
- How We Do This Shit - Talk on how tech-based artists do this financially.
- Making WebGL Dance - How I Learnt to Stop Worrying and Love Linear Algebra.
- The Pixel Factory - Talk about WebGL, GPUs and Math by Steven Wittens.
Articles • Tutorials
Shaders • OpenGL • WebGL
- Introduction to shaders - Part 1 of an introduction to shaders using threejs.
- Three.js 101 - Introduction to three.js from a creative coder perspective.
- Experimenting with Three.js shaders and the ShaderMaterial - Introduction to custom mesh shader materials.
- lwjgl: Shaders - Shader tutorial in the context of lwjgl-basics.
- Shaders: A primer - A primer on shaders.
- Shaders: Second stage - The second part to the previous.
- WebGL Lessons — Fragment Shaders - A brief introduction to fragment shaders.
- WebGL Lessons — ThreeJS Shaders - Using custom vertex and fragment shaders in ThreeJS.
- ThreeJS post-proces example - example of post-processing effects in ThreeJS.
- Ray Marching and Signed Distance Functions - Introduction to ray tracing.
- Introduction to Ray Tracing - A simple method for creating 3D images.
- GLSL lighting walkthrough - Phong shading tutorial with glslify.
- Three glslify example - Example on how to use three.js with glslify.
- WebGL Beyond Dom - Greg Tatum explain the basic of WebGL using Regl.
- FBO particles - Article about FBO/GPGPU particles by @nicoptere.
- Ray marching (with THREE.js) - Article about ray marching with three.js by @nicoptere.
- Custom shaders with Three.JS - Introduction to custom shaders, uniforms, textures and lighting in three.js.
- An intro to modern OpenGL - First part of an introduction to modern OpenGL.
- Modern OpenGL Series - Good introduction to some of the OpenGL terms.
- Smooth minimum - Article about the smooth based primitive union.
- Modeling with distance functions - Collection of distance functions in one centralized place.
- Volumetric rendering - Explains how to create complex 3D shapes inside volumetric shaders.
- Real-time Rendering - Book, blog and collection of resources regarding real-time rendering.
- OpenGL 4 Shaders - Short and sweet introduction to OpenGL shaders by Anton Gerdelan.
- On ray casting, ray tracing, ray marching and the like - The title says it all. Introduction by Adok.
- Sun and Black Cat - Articles on shaders and other computer graphics related topics.
- Writing a small software renderer - Really good introduction to how basic software rendering works.
- WebGL Tutorials - Website with a really good collection of WebGL tutorials.
- Generating Geometry: 1, 2, 3 - Beginner introduction on how to create geometry object.
- Three.js sine animation - Learn how to add sine waves to a circle with three.js. (oF version)
- Into Vertex Shaders - Series of tutorials about WebGL, Three.js, and Three.bas.
- The Spaces of WebGL - Brief overview over the different coordinate systems through out the 3D graphics pipeline.
- WebGL Workshop - Short and sweet online introduction to WebGL.
- THREE.js & instanced geometry - Fluffy predator with three.js and instanced geometry.
- Particle Effects via Billboards - How to create a particle effects with billboarding and WebGL.
- Beautifully Animate Points with WebGL and regl - How to create GPGPU particles with regl.
- WebGL Tutorial: Directional Shadow Mapping without extensions - Introduction to the concepts behind real time directional light shadow mapping.
- WebGL Quest - A tutorial and a list of useful resources to use WebGL raymarching and distance functions easily.
- Exploring bump mapping with WebGL - Introduction to different bump mapping techniques.
- OpenGL/GLSL Shader Programing - Deck on OpenGL/GLSL shader programing.
- Particles in a Simplex Noise Flow Field - Perlin noise flow field tutorial.
- Flow Fields, Part 1 Part 2 - Introduction to flow fields also known as vector fields.
- Graphics for Games - Introduction to 3D graphics programming including shaders, math post-processing etc. from Newcastle University.
- HTML Canvas Deep Dive - Profound introduction to the canvas API.
- 31 days of Canvas tutorials - Collection of canvas tutorials by Seb Lee-Delisle.
- Cat Like Coding - In depth tutorials on math, algorithms and Unity.
- Fun Programming - Learn creative coding writing simple programs.
- Creative-coding on iOS with C4 - Introduction to C4 published on Creative Applications.
- COSMOS - An end-to-end tutorial on the design, programming and launch of an app using C4.
- Particle Physics - Particle physics explained.
- Visualizing Algorithms - Looks at the use of visualization to understand, explain and debug algorithms.
- Adventures in Game Development World - Easy to understand collection of articles on game developement, but relevant to creative coding as well.
- Shepherding random numbers - Tiny guide to shepherding random numbers.
- Amit’s Game Programming Information - Collection of resources on stuff like path-finding, Ai, math etc.
- Tips to Improve Your Generative Artwork - Tips to make your art look better.
- Working With Color in Generative Art - Tips on how to get color right.
- Shader-school - Workshop for GLSL shaders and graphics programming.
- Webgl-workshop - The sequel to shader-school: Learn the WebGL API.
- Fragment-oundry - Interactive fragment shader tutorial.
- SDF Tutorial 1: box & balloon - Shadertoy tutorial on raytracing.
- HOWTO: Ray Marching - Shadertoy tutorial on Ray Marching.
- Raymarch Tutorial2 - Shadertoy raymarch tutorial.
- GLSL 2D Tutorials - Shadertoy GLSL 2D Tutorial.
- Bubble Breakdown - Shader breakdown by Perlin.
- Let's Make A Ray Marcher - Interactive Shader-Toy on writing a ray marcher.
Quick References • Cheatsheets
- Shaderific GLSL - OpenGL ES shading language reference.
- The Book of Shaders Glossary - Shader glossary by theme.
- gltut glossary pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 - OpenGL 3D programming glossary.
- Canvas Cheatsheet - Quick and visual canvas cheatsheet.
- WebGL Cheatsheet - WebGL 1.0 API reference card.
- Glossary of Computer Graphics - Glossary of terms relating computer graphics.
- GLSL Reference Guide - OpenGL Shading Language quick reference guide.
- 3D Maths Cheat Sheet - Math cheatsheet by Anton Gerdelan, from his OpenGL book.
- docs.GL - Improvement of the official OpenGL documentation.
- OpenGL Shading Language - Khronos Group GLSL wiki.
- OpenGL 4.3 Reference Card - PDF Reference Card for the OpenGL 4.3 API.
- Easings - Interactive easing functions cheatsheet.
- The newbie's PBR Cheat Sheet - Short and sweet visual overview on PBR.
- PixelSpirit - GLSL library on the back of tarot cards, for learning and reference.
- r/creativecoding - Sharing and discussing the use of computer programming as a creative discipline.
- r/raytraycing - Subreddit on raytracing.
- r/opengl - News and discussion about OpenGL on all platforms.
- r/graphicsprogramming - Subreddit on graphics programming.
- r/processing - Subreddit on Processing.
- r/shaders - Subreddit on shaders.
- r/proceduralgeneration - Subreddit on procedural generation.
- r/MachineLearning - Subreddit on machine learning.
- Creative-Dev Slack - Creative Development Slack.
- Generative Art Slack - Generative Art Slack.
- Creative Coding Club - Creative Coding Club Slack.
- Creative Coding - Creative Coding Slack.
- openFrameworks - openFrameworks Slack.
- The Creative Coding Podcast - Iain and Seb discuss the ins and outs of creative coding.
- realtimevfx.com - Real Time VFX Community.
- Data Stories - Podcast on data visualization.
- Math as code - Cheat-sheet for mathematical notation in code form.
- Coding Math - Teaches you the math you need to understand as a programmer.
- Math snippets - Math snippets with graphic programming in mind.
- Formul Animations - The principles of painting with maths.
- Learning Maths again - Collection of JS and GLSL math snippets.
- Eases - Grab-bag of modular easing equations.
- Math for Motion - Visualization of different motion equations.
- Matrix Multiplication - Matrix multiplication visualized.
- Algebra rules - The most useful rules of basic algebra.
- Immersive Math - Fully interactive linear algebra.
- Image Kernels - Interactive and visual introduction to image kernels.
- Sine and Cosine - Interactive explination of sine and cosine.
- Perlin Noise - Perlin noise explained in detail.
- Vector Math for 3D Computer Graphics - Tutorial on vector algebra and matrix algebra from the viewpoint of computer graphics.
- Desmos - Graph functions, plot data, evaluate equations, explore transformations, and much more.
- MFGD - Math for game developers YouTube playlist.
- Essence of linear algebra - Essence of linear algebra YouTube playlist.
- Mathematics of Animation - Slides about the mathematics of animation (repo).
- Sketching with Math and Quasi Physics - Beautiful and visual introduction to math and quasi physics.
- Gene Kogan: Perlin Noise - introduction to 2D and 3D perlin noise.
- Matrix Math and You - High level introduction to matrices.
- Mathematical Symbols - List of all mathematical symbols and signs.
- The magnificent 2d matrix - Interactive tool to better understand transformation matrices.
- Maths & trigonometry cheat sheet for 2D & 3D games - Maths cheat-sheet for 2D and 3D game-makers.
- Tiny 3D - The smallest possible perspective engine on a 2D canvas.
- Matrices for Creative Coding - Introduction to matrices by Greg Tatum.
- Making Things With Maths - Talk by Steven Wittens about bezier curves, procedural generation, physics engines and fractals.
- MyPhysicsLab - Interactive real-time physics simulations, with formulars and code.
Machine learning • Computer Vision • Ai
- ml4a - Machine learning for artists.
- Keras.js - Run Keras models (tensorflow backend) in the browser, with GPU support.
- Google ML - Cloud machine learning by Google.
- TensorFlow - Open source software library for machine intelligence.
- ConvNetJS - Deep Learning in your browser.
- Wekinator - Allows anyone to use machine learning.
- Machine Learning - Coding Train repo with links to machine learning resources.
- CreativeAi.net - Space to share creative Ai projects.
- AI Playbook - Ai microsite intended to help newcomers get started.
- Teachable Machine - Explore how machine learning works, live in the browser.
- OpenProcessing - Algorithmic Designs Created with Processing, p5js and processingjs.
- Chrome Experiments - Showcase of web experiments written by the creative coding community.
- Codedoodl.es - Showcase of curated creative coding sketches.
- For your Processing - Projects and tutorials about Processing.
- Art From Code - Code sketches by Keith Peters.
- Generator.x - Flickr group about generative strategies in art & design.
- Generative Art - Flickr group about generative art.
- People You Should Follow on CodePen - List of interesting people worth following.
- Raven Kwok - Tumblr by visual artist Raven Kwok.
- P5Art - Really good collection of experiments in Processing.
- Echophon - Tumblr with visual inspiration.
- Bees & Bombs - Tumblr with gifs by Dave.
- DevArt - Celebration of art made with code by artists that push the possibilities of creativity.
- Folds2d - Tumblr with curves, surfaces, scalar and vector fields.
- W:BLUT Inspiration - Collection of gifs, links and images by W:Blut.
- OFFF Festival - Digital design festival (Online Flash Film Festival).
- Resonate - Festical in Belgrade about cutting edge music, visual arts and digital culture.
- Gray Area Festival - Creative coding, art and technology festival.
- Signal Festival - Showcase of light art and emerging technologies in Prague, the Czech Republic.
- Eyeo Festival - Bring together creative coders, data designers and creators working at the intersection of data, art and technology.
- Mutek - Organization dedicated to digital creativity in sound, music, and audio-visual art.
- Node - An open platform for the exchange on culture, arts and technology.
- Digital Design Days - OFFF - 3 day event offering conferences, workshops, digital showcases & installations.
- CODAME ART+TECH - Projects and nonprofit events, to inspire through experience.
- Curated Creative Events - Hand-picked design, code, art, fashion and maker events.
- NextArt Night - Inspiring people through creative uses of tech.
Schools • Workshops
- School for Poetic Computation - School in New York that explore the intersections of code, design, hardware and theory.
- Copenhagen Institute of Interaction Design - Hosts a range of educational initiatives, most notably, the Interaction Design Programme and the CIID Summer School.
- Residencies, Fellowships, Summer Schools - Huge list of residencies, fellowships and summer schools around the world (Navigate with the bottom left tabs).
Blogs • Websites
- abandonedart.org - Generative art blog by Matt Pearso. Good for inspiration.
- iquilezles.org - Home of Íñigo Quílez, specialised in GLSL and math snippets.
- bit-101.com - Blog by Keith Peters, specialised in creative coding.
- ibreakdownshaders - Explore the math behind shaders.
- adriancourrèges.com - Blog of software engineer Adrian Courrèges. Articles about game graphics studies etc.
- clicktorelease.com - Home of Jaume Sanchez Elias, with demos, talks, articles on WebGL and WebVR.
- syntopia - Blog about generative art and systems, by Mikael Hvidtfeldt Christensen.
- madebyevan.com - WebGL experiments and articles by Evan Wallace.
- songho.ca - Home of Song Ho Ahn, with a good collection of tutorials on OpenGL and math.
- simonschreibt.de - Game art tricks, design tricks by Simon schreibt.
- Awesome opengl - Curated list of awesome OpenGL libraries, debuggers and resources.
- Awesome webgl - Curated list of awesome WebGL libraries, resources and much more.
- Awesome canvas - Curated list of awesome HTML5 canvas with examples, related articles and posts.
- Awesome audio visualization - Curated list about Audio Visualization.
- Awesome computer vision - Curated list of awesome computer vision resources.
- Awesome visualization research - Curated list of recommended research papers and other readings on data visualization.
- Awesome livecoding - Curated list of livecoding languages and tools.
- Awesome graphics - Curated list of computer graphics tutorials and resources.
- Graphics resources - Curated list of graphic programming resources.
- Magic tools - Curated list of game development resources to make magic happen.
- Hanecci’s link collection - Link collection of ray marching on the GPU.
- Awesome public datasets - Curated list of public avalible datasets, mostly free resources.
- Link collection of ray marching on the GPU - Curated list from 2013.
To the extent possible under law, Terkel Gjervig has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.