Photos Desktop (photos-desktop)
Textile Photos... for desktop!
Table of Contents
- Textile Photos
- Use it
Textile provides encrypted, recoverable, schema-based, and cross-application data storage built on IPFS and libp2p. We like to think of it as a decentralized data wallet with built-in protocols for sharing and recovery, or more simply, an open and programmable iCloud.
Textile Photos is a mobile, encrypted, secure, decentralized personal data wallet for your photos. It allows you to do things like:
- Organize your photos across your devices or back them up remotely
- Publish your photos to friends, family, or your favorite communities
- Store your data in a decentralized system designed to last forever
Textile photos is censorship resistant because it is built on decentralized protocols for storage and sharing, helping to prevent any form of censorship. On top of that, your your photos and messages are encrypted directly on your device, giving you complete control over your privacy and sharing. We've also kept the whole thing open source, because we believe transparency starts with our code. Have a look here, and in our other repos on GitHub. You could even build your own Textile-based app!
You can grab a Photos Desktop release from our GitHub repo. From there, you can grab one of our installers and install the app on your machine. It requires the Textile tray app to be running (for now), which you can grab from our Textile Go repo.
git clone https://github.com/textileio/photos-desktop.git cd photos-desktop yarn install
Then, in the project directory, you can run:
Runs the app in web-development mode. It should automatically open http://localhost:3000 for you. The page will reload if you make edits, and you'll see any linting errors in the console.
Runs the app in electron-development mode. It should automatically open and electron window on your system. The app will reload if you make edits, and you'll see any linting errors in the console.
Builds the app for production to the
build folder. And then bundles it into an installer for various platforms and exports these to a
dist folder. It correctly bundles React in production mode, optimizes the build for the best performance, and then bundles it with Electron for that native desktop feel.
The app is ready to be installed and enjoyed!
Textile's Photos Desktop app is a work in progress. As such, there's a few things you can do right now to help out:
- Ask questions! We'll try to help. Be sure to drop a note (on the above issue) if there is anything you'd like to work on and we'll update the issue to let others know. Also get in touch on Slack.
- Log bugs, file issues, submit pull requests!
- Perform code reviews. More eyes will help a) speed the project along b) ensure quality and c) reduce possible future bugs.
- Take a look at the code. Contributions here that would be most helpful are top-level comments about how it should look based on your understanding. Again, the more eyes the better.
- Add tests. There can never be enough tests.