Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Executive Summary One Sheet
Started by: Jehan Chu
- Ethereum is the next generation of blockchain technology; it is the future infrastructure of the internet
- Ethereum was conceived by Vitalik Buterin, a 21y/o Peter Thiel Fellowship recipient and 2014 World Technology Award winner for software (beating out Mark Zuckerberg)
- Ethereum has been realized by a dedicated team of world-class developers, lead by Gavin Wood, Jeffrey Wilcke and Vitalik Buterin.
- Ethereum creates a platform to tackle the most challenging issues/opportunities in the online space including Fintech, security, Internet of Things, censorship, identity, and global money transfer
- Ethereum is poised to disrupt industries from banking to resource allocation
- Ethereum is free and open source; publicly available and no company or government controls its use
What does Ethereum do?
- Ethereum provides a public tech platform to create online applications, similar to the way the internet is a platform to create website applications from banking to email to youtube.
- Ethereum is new because it provides features such as guaranteed computation, user authentication, custom payment logic, etc, in a secure, open and unblockable way.
- Ethereum provides a secure backbone to build on; it is a foundation level technology
How does it work?
- Ethereum is based on blockchain technology; Bitcoin is an example of a simple technology also based on blockchain tech. Ethereum and Bitcoin are like apples and pears; same family, different fruits.
- Think of a cloud-based system that has a bunch of apps that you pay for on a per-use basis; this is Ethereum. Anyone can build apps on Ethereum the same way apps are built on Android or the iPhone; there is virtually no fee or charge to build apps; users pay to use the apps they want to use
- No one owns Ethereum; it is a freely accessible resource in a similar way to the internet
What is the potential?
- Disruption in industries related to IoT, remittance, law, fintech, TBD applications
- Fans/validators include: IBM+Samsung (ie. Adept), Nick Szabo, [add as many high-profile mainstream finance/VC/tech name checks as possible]
What is the downside?
- young technology; evolution path unclear
- small initial user base, unproven uptake of application development
- future regulation
How can I invest or participate?
- similar to “investing” in the internet; difficult to invest directly
- can invest in ethereum development companies or applications, but not in the “ethereum company” itself
- buy ether, but not the point
To learn more:
Clone this wiki locally
Press h to open a hovercard with more details.