Current bootstrap process
- Bring SSH keys and GPG on to the new machine
- Clone prefs:
- git clone https://github.com/tfnico/prefs.git
- Install and run Puppet:
sudo apt-get install puppet sudo puppet apply puppet-linux.pp
- Disable workspace shortcuts (Lubuntu: use https://code.google.com/p/obkey/ )
Some unity/compiz fixes:
- Disable Ctrl+Alt+up for maximizing (Ctrl+Super+up is enough) in Compiz/Grid configuration
- Disable all the spaces shortcuts under Keyboard
- Remap caps to be escape:
dconf write "/org/gnome/desktop/input-sources/xkb-options" "['caps:escape']" # Alternatively, edit the empty value in /etc/default/keyboard XKBOPTIONS="caps:escape"
Set up dotfiles:
vcsh clone firstname.lastname@example.org:tfnico/config-mr.git mr mr up
It's still a bit fiddly to get all the repos auth'ed. Do the problematic ones with vcsh pull .
Still manual installs
- Install oh-my-zsh
- Install oh-my-zsh theme powerlevel9k
curl -Lo- https://bit.ly/janus-bootstrap | bash
- ripgrep - still not in all repos.
- vim-plugins - clone these into ~/.vim/janus:
- Java (maybe just stick to doing that manually)
- nvm: git clone https://github.com/lukechilds/zsh-nvm ~/.oh-my-zsh/custom/plugins/zsh-nvm
- Move prefs into mr and do the initial puppet-apply using downloaded file instead
- Find a better way to auth all the mr repos (initial ssh alias config problem..)
- Plugins in .vim/janus/ as submodules or mr?
- Add oh-my-zsh to mr/vcsh
- Try out oh-my-zsh jump plugin: https://github.com/robbyrussell/oh-my-zsh/pull/2045
Mixing together terminals, tmux, Vim, desktop and clipboard-managers is a real hoot. Here are some notes:
Ubuntu: Use Glipper. Set it up to manage middle-mouse/marking so it will take care of xclip. y will move tmux buffer into xclip/Glipper. C-p will take from Glipper nicely.
Yanking in Vim will add to xclip/Glipper if you use the '+' buffer.
Pasting into Vim can be done via tmux or with the Terminal paste after activating the buffer in Glipper.
In GVim you can reach Vim and xclip/Glipper buffers in the '*' buffer.
For more discussions/ideas on copy/paste:
- https://github.com/tmux-plugins/tmux-yank looks really interesting
Get missing solarized colors from:
Set up Gnome terminal with the dircolors from:
Gnome terminal colors fixing is from: -https://github.com/sigurdga/gnome-terminal-colors-solarized
Emacs setup is from
- git clone git://github.com/bbatsov/emacs-prelude.git
- ln -s projects/emacs-prelude ~/.emacs.d
Install RVM like this:
- bash -s stable < <(curl -s https://raw.github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm/master/binscripts/rvm-installer)