SideQuest is designed to simplify sideloading apps onto your standalone android based headset. It should include everything you need to get started. When you first open the app it is best to open the setup screen and follow the instructions on screen to get set up.
The quest doesnt show 2D apps normally anywhere in the UI. Thankfully though SideQuest has a launcher ( install on the setup screen - scroll down to the bottom ) which appears in the unknown sources list and lets you open 2d apps. You can pick "SideQuest - Home" or "SideQuest - TV" to use the 2D app in the Oculus Home or Oculus TV environments.
VR apps dont work when launched from the app launcher currently, only 2d apps. The workaround is to launch the VR apps from the unknown sources list instead - they are usually listed there!
- Automatic download of ADB platform-tools for your platform - win/mac/linux.
- Automatic download of QuestSaberPatch for your platform - win/mac/linux.
- Automatic download of songe-converter for your platform - win/mac/linux.
- Setup instructions for enabling developer mode on your device.
- AppStarter based app launcher in both Oculus Home and Oculus TV for launching and using 2D apps
- Drag and drop support for installing arbitrary apk/obb files.
- File manager with drag and drop support ( thanks Mitch )
- Dark mode
- New installed apps manager with a backup system.
- Beat Saber song manager for patching songs onto the Oculus Quest - sorting, multi select, remove duplicates and drag and drop
- Auto downloading via the in-app browser - now works with beatsaver.com, bsaber.com and also any APK downloads too!
When you first launch SideQuest it will download the repositories and also download the ADB tools. Once this is done you should go to the Setup menu option and follow through the one time setup to get your device ready to install apps.
If you have any problems you can hit the bug icon on the top right and then open the console tab in that section to capture any errors - these will really help to find and fix bugs.
Check your antivirus hasn't blocked some parts of the ADB download - this has happened for some with Avast antivirus in particular.
Until we create a Developer portal, you can contact me directly on my discord server if you want to distribute your app via SideQuest.
If you want to distribute via SideQuest, but need to link your users directly to the latest SideQuest releases on your website, here's some sample code.
Clone the repo.
To install the app dependencies
To start the dev stack run
To build the angular app only
To build the electron app only
yarn build yarn build --mac yarn build --wlm
To build the app & angular app
To re-launch electron if you accidentally close it
To reset things
We are pretty relaxed at this point, in that we will accept arbitrary PRs, but all collaborators must agree on a way forward. We live by the Contributor Covenant
This program uses code not created by the SideQuest Team these include: